Need help with install. Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the whipple install is underway, this will probably go over the course of a couple days since I don't have a garage to work in when it's dark, and I have class until the early afternoon.

Here's my question. How do you remove the fuel lines from the throttle body to the fuel filter? They're held on by some kind of clamp at the back of the engine, but I can't see well enough to figure out how to get them out.

I already disconnected the throttle body, so I just need to pull them out to replace them with flexible lines. Anyone know?

So far I've removed my CAI, disconnected and removed the throttle body, relocated the coil, and removed the throttle bracket. Got stuck with these fuel lines.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
just behind that clamp/bracket are plumbing fittings to undo. just look harder.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

and one hold down bolt.

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that hold down bolt also hold down the bracket that is securing the wiring loom? I'll take a look tomorrow. I think I just need to clean that area off, it's got quite a bit of grease and dirt caked back there. Thanks though, I'll find it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
oh crap you are working on a '95 huh? if so forget what i just told you that was for obs vortecs. let me for sure. sorry about that. my mistake. but if it was a '95 you are on the right track and it would be the bottom bolt on bracket. look at pic for reference.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there was so much in the way, the firewall, that big piece of wire loom, I tried to get a wrench on it from above and from below, couldn't get it. So I got some bolt cutters and cut the lines just above the clamp, then pulled them through from below, and disconnected them at the filter.

Yup, it was that much of a pain. I'll be putting in flexible lines, so even if I go back to stock, I won't need to replace them again, or put the old ones back in.

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm about fed up with this. There were so many little things that didn't get sent that I've had to hunt down. I installed all flexible 3/8" fuel line, and got some regular threaded pipe to fuel line nipple fittings, but now it's leaking from those fittings. I haven't started it yet, just turned it on to cycle the fuel pump.

Here's my question, an maybe it's a stupid one, but this wasn't in the instructions, because I would've been using their fuel lines and fittings. How should I seal off these fittings, I clamped the lines onto the nipple end, and it was already a tight fit, so I think it's leaking at the threads. Do you think I should find a rubber washer to go onto the end of the threaded part to seal it off, or should I use some thread sealer?

My main concern is that if thread sealer doesn't work, would I still be able to get the fittings off?

EDIT: These are the fittings I got, so would I just track down some rubber washers to go on the end of the threaded part, so they seal when threaded into the fuel filter/throttle body? http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-46693-785-408.aspx?parttype=Fuel%20Hose%20Fitting

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
believe they should be flared fittings. those will not really seal without external help. not sure that those hoses are gonna be safe with them that close to engine block and heat for pressure they carry either. should have stuck with what was there.

OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
believe they should be flared fittings. those will not really seal without external help. not sure that those hoses are gonna be safe with them that close to engine block and heat for pressure they carry either. should have stuck with what was there.

Couldn't, those hard lines were too short and I would've needed to bend them A LOT to get them to feed into the throttle body where it is now, they would've probably broken. The instructions said to specifically use flexible lines, because it has to make a pretty sharp bend from the throttle body to clear the intake manifold.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
GMCYukonDriver

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me doing this I would get under the car and cut the hard line right where it disappears under the drivers side firewall, flare the tube and put some AN adapters on it then run braided steel line the rest of the way. It'll be $$$ but it will be easier in the long run.

It'll be something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/100551/10002/-1?parentProductId=756885

I actually pulled the entire fuel line from the throttle body all the way to the fuel filter. Thanks for the link to those fittings though, I'm going to see if I can find those locally.

What do y'all think of this fuel line? Seems like a decent deal, but just not sure about the quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-AN-Braide...pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item35babcb3f8&vxp=mtr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz