Need help with finding a part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dpeck-515

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and in need of some help. I have a 2000 z71 Tahoe obs, when I bought it I was told it needed a tranny but after getting under it a bunch of plugs were cut off of the wire loom for the tranny and transfer case. Does anyone know where I can get part of a wire harness? I have searched and can't find any trucks like mine.

Big Roller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd check local junkyards if you're just wanting to get part of a wiring harness. Unless you've already looked there...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
new manufactured harnesses are long since gone. it would be best to find a donor vehicle for on then clean, inspect and test the entire thing.

OP
OP
D

Dpeck-515

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have tried about every salvage yard within 200 miles of me. Does anyone know of a junkyard in their area that has a donor vehicle? The 2000 z71 is a hard SUV to locate lol

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
there was not really any change in the harness for the engine/tranny /t-case from 96 to 2000. tahoe or yukon. the z71 was not really an electrical upgrade of the others. look for any tahoe/yukonor pick up with the same drivetrain layout and component types.

OP
OP
D

Dpeck-515

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried to splice some harnesses but it looks like the colors aren't matching up. Would they have changed the colors on the harness by chance?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
not very likely except between year 96-97-98 to accommodate the steering evo and/or auto 4wd t-case. t-case the wire back to it's connector, tell me what it connects to and the years of the donors. can check it from here.

OP
OP
D

Dpeck-515

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've looked at a couple trucks. I may be wrong but I need basically all of the tranny and t case wires. I have a few 98 tahoes around my area that have the auto 4wd also. It's just a bit of work to get all the wiring from under them. So it the donor has auto 4wd it all should have the same wiring?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes the year and engine, tranny and the t-case rpo codes must match between the two. that way it is a direct swap. treat the wire bundle clip well. by now they will be brittle from the engine heat and age.

OP
OP
D

Dpeck-515

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
But a 98 should still be able to be swapped for wiring? I can't find any obs 2000s in my area or within 100 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman