need help.. catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello,

i am trying to replace my cat.but every picture i see that says is a direct fit does not look like my setup.all pictures show 2 cats under the passenger side of the truck but my truck has a driver side and a passenger side cat.reason i am looking at cats is because i am getting code p0430.
can anyone help me figure out what cat i need?

1998 gmc yukon 4x4 slt 4 dr

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you follow the exhaust down from the engine, the OEM setup has both tubes going to the passenger side. Each tube has it's own cat. The tubes then go into a "Y" and then into a single muffler.

Does yours not look like this? If not, the previous owner may have altered the system.

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20141001_135647.jpg

this is my setup from the rear looking forward.i have a cat that sits under the driver seat and the passenger seat.but the pics of the replacements have both cats sitting under the passenger side

If you follow the exhaust down from the engine, the OEM setup has both tubes going to the passenger side. Each tube has it's own cat. The tubes then go into a "Y" and then into a single muffler.

Does yours not look like this? If not, the previous owner may have altered the system.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a stock '99 and does not have the cat to the left of the drive shaft like yours does. It's possible that there are different setups, though. Hopefully someone here will know for sure.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 2002 the cats are right after the headers

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

when i had cats

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

i hate cats the animal and the automotive kind they both serve no purpose

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a 6" suspension lift?
Drivers side may have been re-routed due to the front drive shaft being lowered.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

What's the bracketry in the upper balljoint area?

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this does not seem like a stock catalytic converter setup?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on most tahoes ive seen there is even an exhaust installation wright up and you can see the cats are right behind the headers i know this because they were hell to get off

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

why are wehaving a discussion about replacing cats? do you have to do vehicle emissions?
if you dont get rid of them. get the o2 sensor simulators even if you do have to do emissions its OBD2 so all they do is plug into the OBD2 port and test your gas cap at least in arizona thats all they did to mine and no it has not affected my gas mileage in the slightest

OP
OP
laprodigy001

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live in nj and i only have emission inspection.but i am getting a engine code p0430.if i get a o2 simulator will that take the code away?how do they work and is there a brand i should get.will i pass inspection with them in?

thanks

on most tahoes ive seen there is even an exhaust installation wright up and you can see the cats are right behind the headers i know this because they were hell to get off

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

why are wehaving a discussion about replacing cats? do you have to do vehicle emissions?
if you dont get rid of them. get the o2 sensor simulators even if you do have to do emissions its OBD2 so all they do is plug into the OBD2 port and test your gas cap at least in arizona thats all they did to mine and no it has not affected my gas mileage in the slightest

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
that setup might be a california converter setup that i think was implemented i think starting in 1998. i saw the same thing in the 2000 limited 2wd units. assuming nothing changed in the area where the original setup went then the old style should fit. there might be concerns tho with the o2 locations that might be slightly different and may need longer or shorter wiring. you likely would not get dinged either by a smog shop because is will look like a factory mounting position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trackman