My oil pressure gauge is pegged...is that bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...The sending units are that unreliable?? My replacement new one didn't solve it either so I GUESS I have 2 issues? The sender and the stepper?

So. Another sender unit is likely my solution?

Oh..and one more thing...threads on my SMP replacement were longer than the one in there so didn't tighten down to a good seal. But even the one in there didnt, either. I get a leak around there, too. Ughhhhh..acdelco will have to be my next gamble.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
So...The sending units are that unreliable?? My replacement new one didn't solve it either so I GUESS I have 2 issues? The sender and the stepper?

So. Another sender unit is likely my solution?

Oh..and one more thing...threads on my SMP replacement were longer than the one in there so didn't tighten down to a good seal. But even the one in there didnt, either. I get a leak around there, too. Ughhhhh..acdelco will have to be my next gamble.
Yeah, I've also gone through two fuel pumps in 5 years. Stupid design, requires a ton of work to replace, so even though the part is under warranty it still costs a few hundred in labor for the fuel pump replacement. [emoji35]

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you feel the sender should fix it? Gosh I hate to buy it just to guess but I know of nothing else. The new stepper doesn't jerk and skip so maybe it's working ok.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm not sure. When I have a question I take it in for an estimate. Most places don't charge for an estimate and tell you what they think is wrong.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Use AC Delco unit only. The aftermarket ones are notorious for problems. It's a $20 part that's takes 30 minutes to replace.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hehe. Getting good at pulling this sensor. WIll put in an ACcdelco sensor and see what happens. Getting gun shy with this sensor issue.

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as everyone said, always buy ac Delco or oe brand replacement.

I changed my unit when I bought it, it tough if you have fat hands and are not flexible... you need to come from the topside and go behind the engine... y pu also need a special THIN well socket so it fits in the small space provided.

This will be frustrating the first time, as its mostly a blind fix, not being able to see what you are doing.
lots of reaching down and 'feeling'...

after new ac delco unit, it should be fine, if not, go to the stepper motor.

Also make sure your oil level is perfect!!!

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got all my parts and stuff to install a secondary aftermarket electrical pressure gauge. The stock one still has issues and no matter what gets resolved in it I will have the new one as well which will be tee off the pressure port

My only hiccup right now is how to get switched power that turns on and off with the key turn.

Any assistance in this area?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under the steering column is the on the firewall there is a black cover pop that and youll expose many large plug ins.... there should be an empty spot with male spade terms sticking up or female... i forget but eitherway you have switched, constant, rap, ground...all kinds of shit there ill try to find a pic

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm checking in to that. Just yesterday I learned of these add a curcuit, piggyback fuse things which now totally simplifies my issue. Didn't know they were made...stumbled into it on the internet.

You don't know what you don't know!! :))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts