My oil pressure gauge is pegged...is that bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
So, I recently had a bunch of work done on the truck. I had several oil leaks and yep, fuel pump went buh-bye. $2300 later, and two extra trips to replace faulty replacement gaskets...:wtf2: ....I finally seem to not be leaking any fluids. After the first fix, the brand new oil filter gasket blew, and we went through 10 quarts of oil in a weekend just keeping it running until we could it to the shop on Monday.

Anyway...I got totally side-tracked by being all annoyed about this again...

Finally, no leaks. Things seem tight, running smooth and not stalling thanks to a new fuel pump. Great. For that much money, it damn well better work right. Today I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is as high as it can go. And it doesn't move. Not knowing much about this sort of thing, my first thought was, "that can't be good," but the manual says the only time it's not considered normal and is considered bad is if the pressure gets too low. Definitely not the case here, but I've never seen that gauge read that high, it's usually right in the middle.

Long question short: Is this good, bad, or does it matter? Can I stop worrying about it or should I go back to the shop for the 4th time and probably lose it while there?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Mine was high after my overhaul and went down to the middle after a while. As long as its not low its good

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF it stays there and doesn't move at all, even after a few days of driving, I would point to one of two things being bad. Either the oil pressure sending unit, or the stepper motor in the cluster itself. The stepper motors are known for going bad.

Hope you figure it out.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was my truck, it would bug me too much to drive it like that without knowing what was going on!! Take it somewhere and have them check the oil pressure mechanically to see how it compares to the cluster gauge! Like mentioned, it's either the stepper motor if yours is 03 and newer or its the sending unit!

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I agree, would want to get it checked, like said probably not a big deal just sending unit or stepper motor, as we know those motors just go weird outta nowhere. But, high oil pressure isn't good either. Not saying anything is wrong, but check this site:
http://lubricants.s5.com/oil_pressure.htm

Would personally get it checked out, especially if oil related work was just performed, and nothing with gauge got messed with. IMO, worth getting looked at.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to check right off the bat that I didn't think of before for some reason, check the oil level itself. I know it sounds simple, but when having oil issues like you explained, it is real easy to overfill the crankcase by which causing higher oil pressure as well. This is BAD, so make sure the level is right where it should be and not overfilled.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil gauges on the GMT800 platforms are known to go bad (mainly the sensor), thus causing them to be pegged past 80 PSI. Too high of oil pressure is bad as seals will be blown.

Your best bet it check the oil pressure sensor and see if it needs to be replaced. There could be a loose wire somewhere also since you did say you had some work done.

Take a look here:
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/2lhen-oil-pressure-gauge-pegged-maximum-time-ignition.html

Also, what does your oil level look like? Filled to the top? Over filled?

Richard in Reno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just diagnosed and fixed a faulty Oil Pressure Sensor Sender:

Indication that your Oil Pressure Sensor Sender is broken:
- Key off - Oil pressure reads 0
- Key in accessory position - Oil pressure reads 80
- Engine running - Oil pressure reads 80 and does not change

To confirm Oil Pressure Sensor Sender is faulty (and not the gauge), remove the wire from the oil pressure sensor sender:
- Key in accessory position - Oil pressure reads 0
- Engine running - Oil pressure reads 0

Proper operation:
- Key on accessory position - Oil pressure reads 0
- Engine running - Oil pressure reads 60 and changes as I rev the engine

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need help on this oil gauge issue...

Previous
-- Pressure read zero with key on, engine off.
-- Pressure stuck 40 range with engine running and stays there when turned off.
-- Needle jerky, never smooth.

Then...
-- New Standard Motor Prod sensor yielded same results as above.

Now...
-- New stepper motor totally changes things. Gets 80psi whether running or not. Slightly higher accelerating.
-- Doesn't zero out at all. Not ever.
-- Unplugging sensor yields 80 with key on and even WAY higher psi running, never reads zero. Moves smoothly doesn't seem to stick even though high psi readings.

Put in old sensor and get same results as with the new std motor prod sensor. It never zeros out and tends to stay at 80.

Could both sensors really be bad?

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Mine quit *******, and now it jumps all over the place. Zero to all over. The stupid low pressure alarm goes off all the time and is super annoying. Mechanic said it's the sending unit (again) but haven't had time or money to fix it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660