Moonroof Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cduke123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Yukon XL (Denali); I previously had a 2002 Yukon XL XLT. Both of these have experienced the same grinding noise coming from the moonroof as well as difficulty opening and closing the door/slider that covers the glass and blocks the sun. I rarely se the moonroof but one of my kids opened it the other day and the grinding noise started. It rained the other day and, since the grinding started, I noticed some water leaking through onto the felt slider/cover.

Has any one had this problem? If so, what have you done to repair it? How much did it cost? My previous Yukon was traded in on another vehicle so the dealer d dealt with the moonroof issue. I would like to repair it but need to stop any water leaking; the rain the other day was not heavy but still leaked.

I appreciate the insight and I will continue searching the focus for similar issues but need to address this quickly before the rain returns.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grinding noise you’re hearing is the plastic track pieces that guide the glass as it opens. They are probably broken and lodged somewhere in the track system for the sunroof. It’s an extremely common and well documented issue with this platform vehicle. My 2006 Denali xl has done the same thing as well as the family whom I share a house with that has a 2005 Escalade esv. Hers is broken as well. If you’re not careful and keep trying to open it, the pieces that are broken will get stuck and block your glass from sliding which will result in it stopping wherever it sits. Hers got stuck all the way open. I got lucky and mine is stuck closed. The fix is replacing all the track pieces. There’s a company that makes a kit that consists of metal track replacement pieces. The kit I believe runs $110 from their website. But it requires dropping the headliner and possibly removing the glass as well the be able to access all the track pieces.

OP
OP
C

cduke123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The grinding noise you’re hearing is the plastic track pieces that guide the glass as it opens. They are probably broken and lodged somewhere in the track system for the sunroof. It’s an extremely common and well documented issue with this platform vehicle. My 2006 Denali xl has done the same thing as well as the family whom I share a house with that has a 2005 Escalade esv. Hers is broken as well. If you’re not careful and keep trying to open it, the pieces that are broken will get stuck and block your glass from sliding which will result in it stopping wherever it sits. Hers got stuck all the way open. I got lucky and mine is stuck closed. The fix is replacing all the track pieces. There’s a company that makes a kit that consists of metal track replacement pieces. The kit I believe runs $110 from their website. But it requires dropping the headliner and possibly removing the glass as well the be able to access all the track pieces.

Thank you for that information. Have you repaired yours or did you leave it closed? If I can ensure it is closed and no longer leaking, I will just pull the cb and use it only as a sun roof. Considering its age, I'm not that concerned but I can't have it beat leaking. It's possible the water that leaked was water that came in when it was opened and continued to drip on the cover.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not repaired it yet as I had some other priorities to take care of first. But I love having an open sunroof in the warm months so I plan on fixing it soon. I can still tilt mine up and down and it operates normally. It just doesn’t slide back. I believe the website was tgeautomotve.com, if you’re gonna go for the kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM