Mileage improvements need suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend to improve gas mileage, I'm getting 11-12 in a city, gentle driving? I have 09 LT, 135K

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get just under 15mpg with mostly city driving in my '08 with 133K miles.

If it's 4wd, keep her in 2wd only; proper air pressure in all tires; check for clean air filter, maf and throttle body. These are the basics, of course. I don't believe in spending hundreds of dollars on exhaust, intake, tuners, etc. to get another 2mpg in fuel efficiency----that's like spending a dollar to save a dime.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
I get just under 15mpg with mostly city driving in my '08 with 133K miles.

If it's 4wd, keep her in 2wd only; proper air pressure in all tires; check for clean air filter, maf and throttle body. These are the basics, of course. I don't believe in spending hundreds of dollars on exhaust, intake, tuners, etc. to get another 2mpg in fuel efficiency----that's like spending a dollar to save a dime.

Cold air intake is like $80 on eBay. Over the coarse of a year it will pay for itself. That's like spending a dime and getting a dollar. :2cents:

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold air intake is like $80 on eBay. Over the coarse of a year it will pay for itself. That's like spending a dime and getting a dollar. :2cents:

Car already comes with a CAI setup. I dont see much improvement from aftermarket. Through my research, replacing the tube helps with sound and flow and possibly a very few ponies but still doesnt justify the price for MPG. For sound or something else, maybe...

I'm working on changing fluids to synthetic, maintaining a clean air filter, good tire pressure, the right tires, monitoring how you brake and how you accelerate. Anything passed this requires a different type of car IMO.

OP
OP
P

pcowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, I also don't believe in spending a lot to get 1 mpg, I live in a city, but people drive like crazy here, Kia would be "crushed".

What kind of synthetics, Amzoil or Mobil sufficient? Also, I've read Bosch spark plugs are better then Autolite?

ubervic, wow 15 mpg not bad. it is 4x4 and I do drive in 2wd. I even cleaned the Air Flow Censor.

dougo

Reaction score
I have had this happen on two trucks were the knock sensors fails with no indication other the crappy gas milage on my 06 no codes were found, I found the issue because it reported a knock sensor wire short,Its Well known issue what happens is water gets under the intake and get in to the connection, The sensor is self my guess has been bad for the last 30k i had tried every thing with no improvment, After replacing the sensors gas milage returned, Just a thought
Gas milage was effected on both trucks 2-3 mile per gallon

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, I also don't believe in spending a lot to get 1 mpg, I live in a city, but people drive like crazy here, Kia would be "crushed".

What kind of synthetics, Amzoil or Mobil sufficient? Also, I've read Bosch spark plugs are better then Autolite?

ubervic, wow 15 mpg not bad. it is 4x4 and I do drive in 2wd. I even cleaned the Air Flow Censor.

While saying KIA specifically was a bit "tongue in cheek", I've driven a Mini Cooper in DC, Houston and LA traffic and, both the car and I, lived to tell about it, so I do not accept that a "lesser" vehicle would be "crushed". If the way that you drive would result in a smaller car getting crushed, perhaps you should revisit your driving style and pick up a few MPGs for free.

While I will not dispute that some people have had an issue with knock sensors, the sheer number LS series engines in circulation would mean that, at the very least, a tech bulletin would exist if there was even the possibility of a widespread issue with a knock sensor.

Get/stay up to date on your maintenance, check your tire pressures, and check your right foot. If you want to go deeper, look at your tire style. An "economy" tune may help. Depending on who tunes it, a failed or failing sensor may be found during tuning.

If you want to go deeper still, look at your gearing. 3.54 (iirc) and 3.73 are the most common ratios. PPV's have 3.08 and I believe that SSV's had it also. Depending on your tire size, 3.73 to 3.54 will give you less "punch" starting off, but will give you better highway mileage. 3.08, even more so. If you just want around town mileage and could care less about highway mileage, going the other way might help, but that is a guess. However, cost and time investment will negate almost any savings.

Asking about oil brand isn't much different that asking which brand of beer is best. Name brand synthetics in the appropriate viscosity for your operating conditions will be comparable, but whether they actually improve mileage is debatable.

Also keep in mind that fuel with 10% ethanol versus fuel with out ethanol, will also make a noticeable difference in your fuel mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia