Maybe Time To Trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issues as you.
I replaced the tires at 20k miles, had the screen flickering fixed with a new cable and update, still have the transmission clunking, no problem with the window trim, and fixed the exhuast squeak by opening the flapper.
Fortunately I am in a lease until Sept. '18. So as I told the dealership last oil change, my issues are going to become their issues next year.
The problem I am having is what to replace this with next year. The Audi and Mercedes are not big enough for me. To go from a Yukon XL to either of them is going with half the vehicle. I know they are more refined, but they just aren't a full sized SUV imo.
The GLS550 isn't too bad power-wise. But $100K to start, now we are in a whole different ballpark.
And it still only has a max 7500 towing.

Personally I see myself looking towards a 2500 Sierra Denali with the Duramax next. They are solid as a rock, offer the Denali amenities, and have tremendous resale value even 10 years later. And 910 ft lbs of towing torque...nice.

The 2500 diesels are nice. I have one now, although not a GM. My work needs have changed since buying it and my family is growing so a crew cab truck with eventually two kids/car seats in the back isn't very practical to do much with. So, I'm going the opposite direction I guess. As fun as the diesels are to drive, thanks to the EPA and overreaching government, they are more expensive than ever to maintain. And not without issues-I do business with a company that has three 2016 GM LTZ crew cabs with the duramax. All three have been in the shop before 30k with leaking oil pan gaskets and steering gear/linkage issues.

There isn't anything I know of in a suv that competes with the passenger and cargo room of a suburban/Yukon XL......puts those of you trying to move out of a problem vehicle in a tough spot without giving up something.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the current model issues, The 2018 expedition will do very well if it's a solid truck. Should be available to order in a few mos.

We are in the same position and as of right now we are waiting to drive one before ordering and trading in our 15 XL.

Release-Date-of-the-2018-Ford-Expedition-c_o.jpg

jdskycaster

Reaction score
This is the dilemma for a lot of full size SUV owners right now. The new Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon's are not living up to the historical reliability of the platform and the $70K plus price of entry for a nicely equipped 4WD model is really tough to swallow. All of the recent issues have softened the market a bit - at least here because I was starting to see some really deep discounts but that just tells me the marketplace is beginning to catch on.

I did not even look at an Expedition right now for two reasons. I needed to trade my Yukon XL now and would never buy any new vehicle that is just about to be replaced and second, my history with Ford and owning an Expedition prior to a string of Yukons was abysmal. The new Expedition will attract some buyers that are unhappy with GM right now but that brand new vehicle has a lot to prove before I would ever plunk my money down on the table. I keep my vehicles for 5 years so never lease and need something I know will at least make it trouble free and spend more time in my garage then at the dealer for 5 years and 100K miles.

Audi and Mercedes are great minivan people and grocery mover replacements but they are definitely not towing machines. If I am spending $70K plus on an SUV it has to do more than just move people and the occasional load of goods from Cosco. If not a car with AWD is a much better choice, at least for me anyway. A pickup was definitely on my list as a possible replacement but the problem is I hate loading luggage and even groceries in the bed of a truck. Sure there are systems you can install or use to help keep crap from sliding around back there but once you have a Burb or XL Yukon a pickup truck's bed is no replacement even if you find a good way to keep it perfectly dry.

Right now its not an easy choice because everything else has a compromise compared to the oldest of big utes. GM needs to get their act together and get this platform back on top in the dependability and longevity category fast. Until then I will be driving a competitor that can still tow, has a decent history of reliability and should get me through the next 5yrs/100K. Unfortunately I am giving up a couple of things that I really liked about my 11' Yukon XL.

Last edited:

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I see myself looking towards a 2500 Sierra Denali with the Duramax next. They are solid as a rock, offer the Denali amenities, and have tremendous resale value even 10 years later. And 910 ft lbs of towing torque...nice.

I'd be wary of buying a diesel for the resale value. Diesel trucks, and pickups in general, are on a huge bubble right now. Everybody wants a truck. In the past it has been jeeps, european cars, asian cars, muscle cars, and now it's trucks. Eventually all these kids are going to grow out of rolling coal and buy something else. (pimped out minivans?) Prices will drop on used trucks again, and I don't see this trend lasting too much longer. Trucks will never go out of style, but the huge mass of suburban kids asking for a diesel truck for their 16th birthday is going to move on.

It's like it's 2006 and looking at buying an ej civic. If you love it, and want one, and are going to keep it, go ahead. If you think in three years you're going to sell it for 90 percent of what you paid for it, tread carefully.

With the current model issues, The 2018 expedition will do very well if it's a solid truck. Should be available to order in a few mos.

We are in the same position and as of right now we are waiting to drive one before ordering and trading in our 15 XL.

View attachment 78129

Do not want a irs SUV. At all. If ford brought back the excursion I'd probably want one (especially if it came with a 6.7) but the expedition is just a giant hatchback.

This is the dilemma for a lot of full size SUV owners right now. The new Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon's are not living up to the historical reliability of the platform and the $70K plus price of entry for a nicely equipped 4WD model is really tough to swallow. All of the recent issues have softened the market a bit - at least here because I was starting to see some really deep discounts but that just tells me the marketplace is beginning to catch on.

I did not even look at an Expedition right now for two reasons. I needed to trade my Yukon XL now and would never buy any new vehicle that is just about to be replaced and second, my history with Ford and owning an Expedition prior to a string of Yukons was abysmal. The new Expedition will attract some buyers that are unhappy with GM right now but that brand new vehicle has a lot to prove before I would ever plunk my money down on the table. I keep my vehicles for 5 years so never lease and need something I know will at least make it trouble free and spend more time in my garage then at the dealer for 5 years and 100K miles.

Audi and Mercedes are great minivan people and grocery mover replacements but they are definitely not towing machines. If I am spending $70K plus on an SUV it has to do more than just move people and the occasional load of goods from Cosco. If not a car with AWD is a much better choice, at least for me anyway. A pickup was definitely on my list as a possible replacement but the problem is I hate loading luggage and even groceries in the bed of a truck. Sure there are systems you can install or use to help keep crap from sliding around back there but once you have a Burb or XL Yukon a pickup truck's bed is no replacement even if you find a good way to keep it perfectly dry.

Right now its not an easy choice because everything else has a compromise compared to the oldest of big utes. GM needs to get their act together and get this platform back on top in the dependability and longevity category fast. Until then I will be driving a competitor that can still tow, has a decent history of reliability and should get me through the next 5yrs/100K. Unfortunately I am giving up a couple of things that I really liked about my 11' Yukon XL.

My father just went through this dilemma. The newest vehicles, especially from GM, are not worth the asking price. He ultimately settled on an older 3/4 ton truck for his daily driver. The 2015i yukon just sits now, nice and clean in the garage, waiting for the miles to catch up to it's age. It's two years old with 50k and it's falling apart. It's had two new head units, two GPS units, new antennas, new window trim, new dif seals, and the transmission bucks the truck like a rodeo horse. Instead of 60, 70, 80, 90, even 100 thousand dollars for a new truck or SUV, he decided to spend less than half that for a truck that had already taken the initial depreciation hit, and is using some of the money that would have gone toward the new truck to tune, bulletproof, lift, and customize the older truck. In the end he'll have a low miles truck perfectly suited to his needs and likes, with a new stance, custom touches, and accessories, and will still have a considerable price lead over a new vehicle. In actuality it will probably be more reliable than the new truck, unfortunately.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see what you are saying. As I stated I still have a year left on my lease. So I'm not in the same situation as the OP.
However, mentioning this thread to my wife she has different plans. And I can actually agree with them. lol
Buy a lower mileage, used F250 or Chevy 2500 for $30K for towing the boat, atv's, snowplow, etc.
Then lease a nice car for both of us to drive. She currently has a babied '15 Wrangler JKU...never going to sell.
Immediately upon this idea of hers I rushed to the Cadillac page and started looking at leasing a ATS-V sedan. :chewie:

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see what you are saying. As I stated I still have a year left on my lease. So I'm not in the same situation as the OP.
However, mentioning this thread to my wife she has different plans. And I can actually agree with them. lol
Buy a lower mileage, used F250 or Chevy 2500 for $30K for towing the boat, atv's, snowplow, etc.
Then lease a nice car for both of us to drive. She currently has a babied '15 Wrangler JKU...never going to sell.
Immediately upon this idea of hers I rushed to the Cadillac page and started looking at leasing a ATS-V sedan. :chewie:

That's what my dad did. He got a 2014 Lariat f250 (diesel) to work and tow with, got all the goodies, and will look to get some kind of toy in a couple years if he decides to sell his SUV.

A note with the ATS-V: while at the auto show last winter, I tried to get in an ATS V. Sick looking, great car. The seat would not go far enough back or low enough for me to get into. I am "only" 6'4"

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the new Ford expedition going to have a V8 instead of that stupid six cylinder ?
Nope. I had a 5.4 Expy before the Denali.
Ok engine. Solid vehicle.
Can't do a turbo 6 cylinder full sized SUV especially when Toyota and Nissan are both offering V8's.

OP
OP
M

M26 Pershing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been test driving several large SUVs, and I must say that the new Q7 is amazing. I can not purchase a Ford with Ecoboost. However, after all that we have decided to order a 7 series and dump the Denali. Hear that GM! I have my old Denali and a business truck along with other cars for hauling people and things. I do not tow, no pets, my children are heading to college or graduating from college. Moreover, I purchased a new CIViC instead of a Chevy Cruise for my youngest as a graduation gift, hear that GM! When will you learn that customer loyalty is important to a businesses continued success! May I add my neighbor purchased the "New Made in China" Buick SUV and they are working to lemon law it. Thanks for letting me vent.
M26 over and out!

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been test driving several large SUVs, and I must say that the new Q7 is amazing. I can not purchase a Ford with Ecoboost. However, after all that we have decided to order a 7 series and dump the Denali. Hear that GM! I have my old Denali and a business truck along with other cars for hauling people and things. I do not tow, no pets, my children are heading to college or graduating from college. Moreover, I purchased a new CIViC instead of a Chevy Cruise for my youngest as a graduation gift, hear that GM! When will you learn that customer loyalty is important to a businesses continued success! May I add my neighbor purchased the "New Made in China" Buick SUV and they are working to lemon law it. Thanks for letting me vent.
M26 over and out!
you realize this forum is in no way connected to General Motors, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts