Maybe Time To Trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M26 Pershing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have owned GM cars and trucks for 39 years. My 2015i Denali XL turned 2 today. I am now looking to trade (20,136 miles). The truck is now developing some issues, transmission clunck,exhaust squeak, screen flicker,window trim falling off,and the god awful Shitstone tires need replacing due to noise also many recalls, etc. I am concerned that in a year or two it my self destruct. My truck does not have the delaminating roof or pressure issue. The old 2002 Denali in my fleet, I still drive and has been rock solid! The local dealer is great, GM customer care is terrible as is the New England GM rep.
Now I have been shopping. The Mercedes GL is very nice and well screwed together and the Audi Q7 is just amazing! Any thoughts?

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only you know the issues you've faced so far and how the vehicle is holding up to your standards so far. If you think it will be more trouble then it's worth in another couple of years, go for it and get a new truck. As to which one to get, that will be a personal decision as well depending upon your towing needs, seating needs, technology needs, etc. Between the Merc and Audi currently though, I'd go with the Q7. If you can wait and have any sort of interest (and the budget) I believe they plan on bringing the SQ7 to the states with a diesel engine, which should be a torque beast.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you plan to do with them? The Q7 is a beaut. Your XL is a trailering beast. The Merc will have pricey repairs down the road.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus for my boss. It will live in South Florida so the packages that they chose were appropriate to the weather here. Graphite Grey Metallic with Black Leather and High-gloss Black/Terra Brown Walnut Wood inlays. Ventilated seats and RES prep (check the forum on this option as the connectivity and ease of play has been an grumbling issue on the forums.

The technology is amazing and the Germans left not much to wish for. This model is hard to keep in inventory and other dealers were unwilling to trade as it is so popular. The turbo is nimble and running 20s grips the road very tight. Like a spaceship in the front seat. 2nd row decent for room unless you are getting well over the 6 foot range. 3rd row is for kids only or leave those seats down.

Coming down from a Suburban/Tahoe, even an LTZ, the comparison isn't even there. But I still love my NNBS and it has all the room in the world for our current lifestyle with the kids. Just wanted to share that little bit from my research on the Q7, taking delivery and not really having any complaints from the boss since they have had it over the last 2 months.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several clients with 2015 Q7s and they are ok. Not super crazy about them. haven't been in the new ones yet but I'm not a fan looks wise. As far as the benz, I work part time at a coffee shop owned by long time clients of my detailing business. She just picked up a CPO 2014 gl450 and it's super nice. Got to drive it last week and it's super comfy. The infotainment tech leaves something to be desired. But other than that it's a super nice ride. Rides nice, and the interior is super comfy. I like it alot. Looks wise, it beats the Q7 by far.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never cared for the previous model Q7, but was in a 17 recently and it is much nicer in/out compared to the previous model.

We are in the same position with our 15 XL and due to space needs with 4kids, I'm holding out and will seriously consider the 18 Expedition.

Last edited:

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have owned GM cars and trucks for 39 years. My 2015i Denali XL turned 2 today. I am now looking to trade (20,136 miles). The truck is now developing some issues, transmission clunck,exhaust squeak, screen flicker,window trim falling off,and the god awful Shitstone tires need replacing due to noise also many recalls, etc. I am concerned that in a year or two it my self destruct. My truck does not have the delaminating roof or pressure issue. The old 2002 Denali in my fleet, I still drive and has been rock solid! The local dealer is great, GM customer care is terrible as is the New England GM rep.
Now I have been shopping. The Mercedes GL is very nice and well screwed together and the Audi Q7 is just amazing! Any thoughts?

Nothing will ever compare to your 2002 Denali. I got the same one and it was one of the best built vehicles in my opinion. I've got the 2016 Denali and there's no comparison which is more fun to drive. For sure the newer one is faster, quieter, and got all the tech gadgets but it doesn't matter to me.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Audi Q7 is rated one of the best large/luxury SUVs by Consumer Reports.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issues as you.
I replaced the tires at 20k miles, had the screen flickering fixed with a new cable and update, still have the transmission clunking, no problem with the window trim, and fixed the exhuast squeak by opening the flapper.
Fortunately I am in a lease until Sept. '18. So as I told the dealership last oil change, my issues are going to become their issues next year.
The problem I am having is what to replace this with next year. The Audi and Mercedes are not big enough for me. To go from a Yukon XL to either of them is going with half the vehicle. I know they are more refined, but they just aren't a full sized SUV imo.
The GLS550 isn't too bad power-wise. But $100K to start, now we are in a whole different ballpark.
And it still only has a max 7500 towing.

Personally I see myself looking towards a 2500 Sierra Denali with the Duramax next. They are solid as a rock, offer the Denali amenities, and have tremendous resale value even 10 years later. And 910 ft lbs of towing torque...nice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT