Luggage Rack removal....Has anyone done this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSTahoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to remove my luggage rack, so i need some ideas.

If so what did you do to fill in the screw holes?

How do you like it?

Do you have any pics?

roadrageror

ROADRAGEROR
Reaction score
quite a few threads on here about that. i believe most use panhead bolts..cant remember the length but also put silicone in the holes before the bolts,and some touch up paint.

OP
OP
R

RSTahoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, i couldn't find the Search icon for the longest. I have read pretty much every post and it seems everyone is just putting screws in with silicone or painting for waterproof. I only saw one post with one guy saying he was going to fiberglass and paint, but hadn't yet.

Has anyone done anything else, like tack some metal to fill the hole and repaint. I'm all for easy and simple, but eventually i would like to do it right.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan is remove the threaded brass inserts and welding in patch pieces.

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just think about it you already have the bolts in the roof now with the rack so just get the right bolts and paint them with out the rack thats what i did plan on welding metal in and repainting the hoe but it works for now and you cant really see it so no big deal

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my kon is lowered and I'm 6'5", I would be able to see the bolt heads and it would bug me every time.

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea probably you can always have the snap over covers and paint to match bt you will still know that they are there just a cheaper fix i am goin to do mine right this winter when i paint my hoe

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
there are some VERY good threads about this already... complete with pictures of completed removal jobs, and pictures of the products used.

Search feature up top is your friend my friend

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such an easy mod to do. Just remove the bolts then fill in the holes with clear silicone. Then buy some touch up paint and paint over. I suggest having a buddy help since it will be a lot quicker and it's nice to have someone help you take off the roof rack after all the bolts are removed. :)

OP
OP
R

RSTahoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I definitely agree with Badluck. Like i said i would like to do it right and be done with it, but a quick fix will probably be the solution for now, at least until i get around to do the body work and paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse