LT install now valve chatter???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpmire

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just finished up the install on my LT headers and now I have a pretty loud valve chatter. Or at least that's what I think it is. I installed new gaskets as well as Gasket seat on them before installing the headers. All header bolts have been torqued down. I double checked that its not a leak anywhere. I drove the truck for about 20 minutes and noticed it got a little quieter. That this sound like valve chatter? I just find it odd that I have no problem until I install these headers.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you mentioned you found no leaks and I don't mean any disrespect but it seems unlikely it suddenly happened. Maybe it's just leaking in a spot you haven't found yet. A minor leak in the right spot which generally can't be seen or felt for a while can sound a lot like valve chatter. Also after everything has been heated and cooled a few times you will most likely need to retorque the bolts. Keep your eye out for any areas around the meeting points for any black residue building.

BlackOh7on22s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More then likely its the typical sound it makes when LT's are installed. Many people talk about it on different forums. Mine did same thing when I put long tubes on.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine is noticeably louder after LTs.. I did actually have a hole in my header pipe and my donuts got cracked. The most obvious sign of a leak was on the freeway in overdrive when I would lug the motor you could hear the tick. It doesn't do it anymore after fixing the head er s and replacing the donuts..definitely retorque the bolts after heat cycling. I have stage 8 bolts but won't put the locks on until everything has seated.

You mentioned gasket seats, what gaskets did u use? GM MLS seem to the best and it's what I'm using.

Only thing left is the y pipe and I had a lot of noise from there. I'm going to try red RTV. A Lotta people say the band clamps don't seal well unless the slip fit is tight. Mine has a good size gap and the clamps don't seal 100%.

Last edited:

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LTs are super thin, and they let a lot of noise out that the stock manifolds were hiding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcutter004

Latest posts