LS1 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
it's an easy swap. Pull intake, accessories, etc...and just put in LS1 longblock...drop your intake back on,etc and have computer tuned...done.

IMHO, it's a lil tougher than that. The cam in the engines in our trucks now are built for torque. Whereas the cam in say an LS1 is built for horsepower. If you put the truck intake on the LS1 replacement engine, you're going to have mismatched power. The engine, IMHO, wont have anywhere near its potential.

So, my guess is you'd need to use the entire LS1 engine, and PCM and have it tuned. You'd lose some off the line grunt because you're having more horsepower.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

I would honestly build up what you have now. Or build up a 6.+liter.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually there isn't a ton of difference on the intakes, you want the torque intake, versus larger runners (higher RPM) intake. Most, the first thing they do is swap the cam, but plugging in a stock LS1 in one of these, with a computer retune is about all that is needed.

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, it's a lil tougher than that. The cam in the engines in our trucks now are built for torque. Whereas the cam in say an LS1 is built for horsepower. If you put the truck intake on the LS1 replacement engine, you're going to have mismatched power. The engine, IMHO, wont have anywhere near its potential.

So, my guess is you'd need to use the entire LS1 engine, and PCM and have it tuned. You'd lose some off the line grunt because you're having more horsepower.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

I would honestly build up what you have now. Or build up a 6.+liter.

You are a bit off on the cam... they were close from 98-00 and the 01-02 has the same exact cam as the truck. Not to call ya out bro.. just info.

The Truck intake and fuel system should be reused... Been proven to have better performance. The biggest thing is you SHOULD... key word being SHOULD get a tune but you can get away with out it since you are reusing so many parts that are compatible.

For my own purpose a tune is in order anyway due the fact I am gonna run at least a small cam on the swap.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Has anyone put a 572 BB in a Tahoe or Yukon yet? That would be interesting.

Its an Idea but why add sooo much added weight when you can make the power with an LSx small block... that is unless you want that big block sound

Last edited:

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope... the motors share most of the same sensors... and by using your factory intake and fuel system it gets even easier. And what sensors arent the same... you can just screw the 5.3 ones in the same location and have no issues.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed, hence is why I say keep your stock intake...all plug and play on new LS longblock.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not really, it has a tad smaller runner size, which will actually enhance more TQ...many swap 4.8 to a 6.0 motors and never change intakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo