Low Oil Pressure Warning! - Any Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that looks pretty dirty and "sludgy". When I cut mine open it didn't look anywhere near that dirty. How many miles does that filter have on it?

Jackson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, it is supposed to onlg have around 2000 miles on it. When we bought the truck, the sticker indicated that it had just been changed. We only put a little over 2000 miles on it when the low oil pressure started. We did get reimbursed for it, but im starting to wonder if it was really changed. I guess I'll see what happens on next oil change.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...the next change cut the filter open again and compare. That'll tell you the true story.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The penszoil platinum and ultra platinum synthetic clean out the sluge in the motors pretty good in my experience. Read up on them. Might want to run this oil.

Germanshop24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the wrong filter could cause some dirt staying within the engine. So it may need up to 2 oil changes to get all dirt out.
So far my oil pressure is still fine. Hopefully it will stay this way - I really like my Tahoe.

v10CodeMonkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. I have a 2007 Yukon with the 5.3. My oil pressure light came on and ding'ed like crazy today while on the way to a Nationwide race. I pulled over, shut the engine off, checked the oil (which was fine) and then restarted and it was fine till I parked 3 minutes later. Left the race early to avoid the crowds in case the Yukon had more oil pressure trouble and sure enough 3-4 minutes into the drive the light came on again and I pulled over and stopped the engine. Restarted and headed for the closest Walmart (about the only thing open on a Sunday afternoon) and had the oil/filter changed after reading this thread. Drove the 45 minute drive back home without any more issues so the filter was the issue for me as well. Wanted to say thanks to all that posted here as I didn't have a clue what it could be till reading this thread.

America563

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
low oil pressure warning

Hi hope some one could help me out with this problem on my 2007 Yukon, I bought this truck 6 years ago bra new off the lot, the truck gas 59,000 miles on it right now for the pass year the oil pressure warning comes on all the time so I was thinking that the problem could it be with the oil and filter they put on the shop I was taking it to get it service so I start doing oil changes my self and use nothing but Castrol oil and gm oil filter but is still doing the same thing every time I do the oil change I reset percentage on the dashboard to 100% one month into the new oil change the percentage goes to like 68% and the low oil pressure warning come on went i check the oil is super low i already check for leaks and don't see any so every time this happens i need to add at lease 1/4 of oil so it could be normal but ones again im not sure what is causing this to happen!! PLEASE HELP!!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your issue is an oil consumption issue and not necessarily an oil pressure issue.

Last edited:

Germanshop24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
America563:
I agree with 07Burb, think your problem is caused by excessive oil consumption of your engine.
I think GM has a service bulletin for that. You need to visit your dealer. They will give you all the paperwork. You have to write down every Oil change and driving conditions for a specific period of time to monitor the oil consumption. If your truck is still under warranty they may change your engine if you qualify.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Back to the original post:
Here a short update: I still have no oil pressure issues, even after towing a 5000lb travel trailer for about 1.1k miles - with even steep slopes around 7%. Only uphill, the engine temperature went up to 240F, pressure went a little bit more down, because of the thinner oil at that temperature. However, everything was normal. MPG while towing: between 10 and 12.
Only bad thing: one tire pressure sensor went bad, but that's not a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diggler9366