Low oil, excess carbon buildup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petergriffen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so I have a 2012 suburban that is still under the GM used certified warranty. Wife was driving the other day and a message came up Low oil pressure turn off engine. Got it towed in and it was four low on oil. They said they think it is because of excess carbon buildup so they're gonna put some cleaner in the engine let it sit for a few hours and see if that stops the oil consumption. Last oil change was done by chevy about 2500 miles ago

I called them and said I was worried about engine damage and wanted them to check into that and they said they have to do this first step and they will see what happens is there anything else I should know about this?? I just want all that can be done under warranty before it is out of warranty

Thanks!!

smccollamjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4 qts in 2500 miles is a lot. I would think you'd easily see that on the ground or coming out of the exhaust.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, will they delete the AFM instead if they have to replace any AFM lifters or other components?

Mine works perfect but since it is not necessary, it's coming off soon.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe with 234,000 and it has used a quart every 1200-1500 miles for the last 150,000. About 6 months ago I went out and got a plug-in Range unit that turns off the AFM. Little or no oil consumption between changes (every 3,500) since. The unit plugs into the scan port and because you are still under the certified warranty you can remove it prior to taking it in for service and the engine will go back to its normal operating process.

I assume the 2011 use the same AFM process that the 07 does. There are a bunch of threads on the site regarding AFM and it effect on oil consumption.

You may want to do some research into it.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there ever a year where they got the arm right on the nnbs? Without having to change valve covers ect?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

petergriffen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all of this. Is there anything I should try to get then do in addition as I am still under warranty? I'm going to keep pushing it to get all I can put of it.
Currently they want me to come back after 1000 miles and check the oil level. They also said it may be from bad gas not having cleaning agents and I should use come cleaner at every fill up. They replaced a few plugs as they were very dirty.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the AFM is the main culprit of oil consumption. Mine is turned off via tuner and I haven't lost any since my last change about 5000 miles ago.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,

I would suspect they are going to continue to blow smoke at you on this about being bad gas, bad plugs, blah, blah, blah, etc. The dealer has to be aware of the AFM effect on oil consumption. The reason there are dirty plugs is more than likely the AFM. I had issues with #1 and #7 fouling until I turned of the AFM.

I would suspect the dealer can't/won't tune it to shut off the AFM so they are going to continue to band-aid the wound until they aren't liable for warranty.

Like I said look in the previous post there are numerous threads about this topic and the positive effect of turning off the AFM whether by a tune or by the Range AFM unit. I think the range unit is approx. $299.00. I bought mine from one of the guys on the forum, he had is truck tuned so he didn't need it anymore. I wouldn't go back to running mine with the AFM, the truck runs better and stopped consuming oil.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Was carbon buildup on both banks? I had excess carbon buildup on the left bank (driver's side). This was caused by a bad PCV valve which GM redesigned. It is built into the valve cover. This would cause excessive oil consumption and carbon buildup.
2. I recently had mine tuned to remove AFM and have a Range AFM unit. PM me if you're interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo