Low Battery, Engine wouldn't turn over, DIC goes crazy, is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased used 2021 Yukon Denali w/6.2L last Aug and I've know it pulls down the battery but... after 5 days of sitting the battery was only at ~11.2v according to my battery monitor.

Tried to start the car and engine didn't turn, brake pedal pushed back at me, and DIC went crazy with things like red 'grasp steering wheel', and stuff I've never seen. Then hit start button again. After a few tries, engine check light came on. So I tried my Cobra lithium starter and it didn't work, just another round of DIC craziness. Finally, jumped it from another battery and it started.

Used my ODBC meter to clear an exhaust code to get rid of the check light. Drove about 10 miles and now it's running normally again.

All other vehicles I've owned just won't turn over with low/dead battery but never seen crazy electronics like this. Is this normal for a low battery / engine won't turn over - e.g. all this crazy DIC stuff? At one point, when I hookup up jump battery a high pitched alarm went off.

FYI - The Cobra jump starter that didn't work with 6.2L is - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YMW18CV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
1715647491336.png
Showed 85% when hooking to battery and engine might have budged an inch but didn't turn over and then nothing during a couple of tries and showed 35% after a couple of minutes. Basically - did not work!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the voltage gets low, it creates all kinds of havoc with the computer systems. Some computers fail at 9 volts, some at 11.3 and so on. So then they're not all able to talk to one another and things go crazy.

If you make short runs and or the trucks sits a lot like mine, the alternator never gets the chance to fully re-charge the battery and each additional short run further depletes it. Consider putting it on a battery tender or take your wife to dinner a 100 miles away to let it get charged up.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This really still should not happen. Unless you are only driving a mile a day, normal usage should keep it charged. If you let it set for weeks at a time, that may be another thing, but if you use it.... it should keep it fully charged. If you live in hot temps all the time you may be getting to the point that your battery may be weak and needs replacement. They can last 3 years or 7 depending on circumstances....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qurba55