Loose steering 99 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EVO sensor is a common issue. If the wheel goes loose at random times it is most likely the sensor. Easy fix

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
Yep, look down by your pedals and you'll see your steering shaft coming in from firewall. There will be a bolt and nut holding bottom shaft onto upper shaft, remove that bolt and push the lower shaft down. Don't be afraid to use some muscle with that too. That will allow the sensor to be removed and a new one installed.

Got the replacement sensor at O'Reiley's after all.

Now, I got the bolt out with no problem, but that housing that covers the union between the two shafts won't budge. I know you said use muscles, but, GEEZE!!! Not only can't I get it to move down, I'm afraid that if I do find a pry bar that I can get in there to pry it down, I'll never get it back into position. Any suggestions on that, or do I have an unusually difficult shaft? Maybe a special tool?

Also, if I ever get that far, is there an alignment routine to be sure that the new sensor is properly aligned once in place?

Sorry for all the newly questions here, but I just dropped a grand into the front end and I really would like to get it to drive properly

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, use more muscle! rock the b*tch back and forth if ya can. I sprayed a little ********* oil to help out. Mine was also a pain in the buttox.

As for alignment I think it only fits 1 way if I remember, drop old out. Put new one up in. Also the wiring/harness for old one was under some foam crap along steering column which I cut and tore out to get access to connector.

OP
OP
Dryfly

Dryfly

Reaction score
Thanks Autolover. Mine had that foam crap too. I also got rid of it. I'll get back to that steering column drop in a few days. Thanks for the encouragement.

I also noticed that cruise controller stopped working. Are these on the same circuit? I changed the 10a fuse (#6) and still not working. Maybe unrelated, but thought I'd ask.

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont beleive so.. I can check diagram on alldata tomorrow just to make sure.

also when putting column shafts back together remember to make sure the firewall boot is in otherwise your feetsies may get cold in the winter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPKennny