Loose Red Wire Driver Side Wheel Well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So both of these are power?

I am about to put a brake controller in mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So both of these are power?

I am about to put a brake controller in mine.

Yes 1 provides power to the 7 pin trailer plug at the rear of the truck. This provides 12V+ to the trailer for things like keeping the battery for the break away switch charged, in case your not familiar with the break away switch it is a pull pin that is attached to a cable that hooks to your truck, in the event that your trailer came loose it would pull this pin and the break away switch will provide power from the battery located on the trailer to the trailer brakes to stop the trailer.

The second wire provides power to the wiring under the dash for the trailer brake controller.

The wires under the dash for the brake controller are as follows if you care.

Light Blue/White-- FEED FROM THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH
Red/Black-- FROM STUD 2 FUSE 36 (30A) FUSE PANEL UNDER THE HOOD
Dark Blue--TO TRAILER CONNECTOR(BRAKES ON TRAILER)
White --GROUND

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure. My 02 suburban was plug and play and I would have been quite upset if I wired up the brake controller and nothing happened.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, if you leave your trailer plugged into the truck and truck not running and use lights and accessories in your trailer, you will kill both batteries, in the trailer and in the truck, so either leave truck running or disconnect trailer.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we have a friend do that last year while camping. But luckily I always keep jumper cables with me.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered everything I need from etrailer.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones in the fender well are both Red and taped. They are feed wires for the block heater accessory, someone has cut them, maybe because they did not use it in their climate. Follow them an you will find they go to the engine block .

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones in the fender well are both Red and taped. They are feed wires for the block heater accessory, someone has cut them, maybe because they did not use it in their climate. Follow them an you will find they go to the engine block .
Nope.... for trailer wiring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts