Looking to do dual exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to have a dual exhaust out in my 04 Tahoe z71 5.3Single muffler with dual tips out of each side

sorry if I sound like a newb because I always use to think dual exhaust had two mufflers, I use to have a 2010 camaro as with dual exhaust which had 2 mufflers, can that be done on our trucks?

Anyways I think I'm more than likely going to do the one muffler with dual out and single tip on each side. I have a local exhaust shop that can make me a custom setup with one flowmaster 40 series with tips on each side for 350 or I'm debating on paying 424.00 plus installation which I'm not sure how much install will be for american thunder flowmaster system part number flowmaster 17419, that comes with the 50 series muffler. What do you guys think? which route should I take and why? Anything to help me make a decision will be appreciated. Is the american thunder system gonna be better quality overall or not really? Also if price is not too much of a factor which route would you go then? Thanks

I would like something mean but not too excessive. What do you think will be a difference in sound between the two?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the twin 40s will drone you insane, they used to drive me nuts in my buddies cars way back when. Could not hold a conversation in them. I used a 70 series crossflow behind the rear axle, no drone in the cab but that was a car.

I like the twin pipes like the Flowmaster kit, but no drone is the #1 consideration when I replace the exhaust system someday. Given the two choices presented, the single 50 series kit with dual tail pipes is my pick!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that flowmaster catback and it lasted about 2-1/2 years before completely rotting away. If you live in the desert i would maybe think about buying it but i live in new york where they lay down an inch of salt for every inch of snow that falls.

I almost bought another one before i decided to get a custom stainless catback made and it was a great decision. The flowmaster kit was very hard to get the tips to line up even which drives me crazy and it clamps together. A custom job will be welded and they can get the tails straight and if you go stainless will last much much longer.

Like swathdiver said a 40 will drone, I have a 50 series delta flow which is the same dimensions as the 50 suv but it`s an inch thinner and it is pretty damn loud and almost no drone.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a FM 50 series on mine. A few sound clips in my build thread to listen to. Quiet at cruise and growl when you punch it.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a pic of the flowmaster kit with the crappy little tips aligned the best i could get it. 100_5170.jpg

And the tips exit at a horrible angle.100_5803.jpg

I now have 4 inch slash cut tips that are even and at a much better angle.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason it wouldn`t let me insert another picture, Here`s what i have now.IMG_9296_zps200f243a.jpg

This is the best picture i have of what i think is a much better angle how the tip exits. IMG_0173_zpsf0c0916b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for all the help.

Think I will go with the custom dual exhaust with one muffler. Just not sure if I'm gonna do 40 or 50 series but leaning more towards the 50 now. I think that exhaust shop said hey only had the 40.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info on droning, Ted and Michael! Thanks!

Yes, a dual exit like this demands slash tips. I used to install my exhausts in my driveway and then take the car to the exhaust shop and have the owner weld up certain parts and cut the tips for me for that perfect look.

Fosscore, the shop was on US1 and Broward, wonder if it's still there?

The old man used to do my cars then one day some new guy was there, it was his son, the old man died. Now his kid should be ready to take over, if they're still there!

Ohh, we called them Rustmasters, but a can of BBQ paint and aluminized tubing kept them going for years. The only Flowmaster kit available for my truck is stainless but a company on ebay sells one with aluminized steel with your choice of Flowmaster mufflers for less than 1/2 price.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info on droning, Ted and Michael! Thanks!

Fosscore, the shop was on US1 and Broward, wonder if it's still there?

The old man used to do my cars then one day some new guy was there, it was his son, the old man died. Now his kid should be ready to take over, if they're still there!

@swathdiver

Cannot recall how long since you said you were here. US1 north of Broward has gentrified a lot! Hubcap Heaven says it is in Hollywood now. The developers have bought out the old stuff on the stretch and are building it up with condos and businesses for those residents. Looks nice. Funny thing, had my headliner done down there at a cool local work shop and a couple months later they were gone and I can't find his new location.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over twenty years. When property values increase the town seems to change almost overnight. I remember passing by empty homes on the way out to sea in the morning and on our way back to the dock in the afternoons there was nothing left, not even the foundation, to make way for the highest and best use of the property. Putting up those Mizner style homes, that lacked Florida's character, that stretched from one edge of the property to the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645