Looking to do dual exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I called an exhaust shop closer to my work to ask them about doing the custom dual exhaust. I said I'm looking to do a single muffler dual out. He asked two tailpipes? One on each side? I say yes and he says ohh I don't think you can do that, why not? He says there is no room on the drivers side to put a tailpipe because the fuel line is right there and you don't want a hot pipe near it.

I explained that flowmaster and maybe other company's make a sytem already put together specifically for an 04 Tahoe and I've seen other people have them on their trucks and he says ohh maybe but I've never seen it done, then he says to bring it in and he'll take a look.

What is your guys take on the tailpipe on drivers side? Is it too close to a fuel line that can cause an accident?

Also I was wondering if I should do side exit for the dual tailpipes or straight out tailpipes and why? Or is that just a personal preference? I'm not sure what the difference is. Also is there a sound difference between the two?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reckon it's preference. Remember the 1980s Monte Carlo SS and Buick Grand Nationals? Same exhaust exits you mention. I prefer the Buick style, side exits with slash cut tips. As long as it is run proper, meaning the right clearance given, you should be fine. Check this company out, maybe your exhaust guy could install one of these kits or emulate it:

www.performance-curve.com

If you don't see what you want, give them a call.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It`s been years since i put that flowmaster kit on my yukon but i remember there being a bracket in the kit that moves a brake line over or up to clear the pipe and you also take a u shaped bracket out that the spare tire rests on. A good shop should be able to work around it. I have 2-1/2 inch tailpipes and they fit without a problem.

This is a picture of the pipe that crosses over, The u shaped bracket mounted somewhere above the spare but removing it didn`t cause any issues securing the spare.

IMG_9303_zpse3c3be15.jpg

J Mac

Reaction score
I'm running the Flowmaster 50HD and the drone isn't bad in the front seats...but gets worse the in the middle and 3rd row. I also have hi-flow cats and long tube headers too so that may increase the drone...I'm not sure. It has a good sound at low rpm's but gets quite loud the closer that right foot gets to the floor! I like it when it's just me in the truck...but sometimes wish it was a bit quieter when the fam is in the truck with me...especially when towing our camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny