Looking at tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking after closer inspection of my tires that i may need to replace before snow flies to avoid a blowout... i've looked around and i'd like to stay under $120 a piece and i have it sort of narrowed down to two. 245-75/16 tires for stock wheels. the first is the toyo open country a/t and the second is the bridgestone dueler revo a/t. now the question(s) are do any of you have them or something else similar that you really like. Also there seem to be p and lt tires and i'm not totally sure which i need. i wouldn't probably tow anything over 2500lbs total and even then we're talking about twice a year maybe. i drive about 60% highway and also don't totally want to sacrifice what little gas mileage there is to be had by purchasing different types of tires. any recommendations or opinions on the topic would be appreciated.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the bridgestone's and i was less than impressed with them i got about 20k miles out of them and they were SLICK but i have heard some people had good luck with them but i will never buy them again. i had nittos before the firestones that i have now and i had about 20k on them and they still had over half tread left could look into them. dont have any experience with toyo's so cant help you there

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
I love my BFG All Terrains. They are excellent in all terrains except mud where they are medicore at best. Very good in the snow and have excellent on road capabilities. Road noise is kept to a minimum and they look bad ass too. I spend a lot of time at the sand dunes and these exceeded my expectations. I would consider these a great purchase. Of course they only come in LT sizes which means they weigh a little more than a P metric tire, but this does not bother me as I prefer performance over gas milage. I also had the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor which rivaled the BFG in all performance aspects, and were better in the mud. These come in P metric sizes if that is what you are set on. As far as the ones you listed above, I would pick the Toyo over the Bridgestone as I hear better reviews from those over the Bridgestone. Check out www.tirerack.com for reviews from real customers.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
I have the Toyo ATs with about 500 miles on them so far and they are awesome. Impossible to break loose in the rain and handles like a HT on dry pavement. The tahoe is a beast through mud and sand. I havent tried them in the snow yet but i can wait

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyos FTW! had a set on a previos vehicle and they were amazing. Rain, Snow, Dry Pavement, never failed me. Had a ton of miles on the set before i sold the Suv they were on.

My procomps have about 12K on them now and still have 75-80% tread, pretty damn good for a M/T, i would only assume their other tires are just as good and right now they are buy 3 get 1 free through 4WheelParts. just a heads up.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, stay away from the Bridgestones. Toyo's are good tires for the price. If you want something that is a good daily driver but still agressive and quiet, check out Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor (not just because I work for them). I had a set on my Tahoe for 80k miles and they still rode better than the Bridgestones I replaced them with.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not one of your choices but I got 90k out of my factory Michelin Cross Terrains on my 4Runner before I had to replace them (they had just hit the tread wear indicators). They were a little pricey but I replaced them with the same. I'm not sure if they come in your size or not. They have a treadlife warranty of 60k. When the Goodyear HPs wear out on the Tahoe I'll likely be switching to Michelins (probably some version of the LTX since the X-Terrains don't come in my size) for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84