LED Tail Light Re-Wiring so Both Sets stay on (How To)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

l2yan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just a quick write up to make LED tails light up on the top as well as bottom when your parking lights are on. This should work with all Tail Lights but I'm not of the wiring in OBS and NNBS. I did this on an NBS. I initially wanted them to all blink and all light up brighter when brakes are applied but will work on that later. In order to do that I may need to change out the actual harness or install resistors. Not something I was up to doing today =)

Here is a picture of the style lights that I have. Only the bottom stayed on with parking lights and the top Blinked with blinkers. Now all of them stay on with parking lights. The top still only blinks and the bottom still only brightens with brakes:
IMAG0022.gif

After Removing the Tails you will see this, or something like it. I had to switch positioning of sockets when installing these. Blinker Top - Reverse Middle - Brake/Running Bottom:
IMAG0023.gif

So what you want to do is cut the blue wire and the black wire coming from your harness for the blinker. Be sure to cut them off not splice into them.
TL1.gif

Then you want to take the end coming from the socket and connect the blue wire to the brown (running light) wire. Then take the Black wire and connect it to the Blue wire coming from the body (The one you just cut). This will leave you with one open ended black wire coming from the body that I just looped back into the plastic covering. Connect these however you see fit. I used a T-Tap for the Blue to Brown and just stripped wire and connected the black to the blue.
TL2.gif

After that test to make sure and your done. Quick and easy. Mine is kinda messy I will probably go back and clean it up once I actually figure out how to make them blink and brake in unison.

Here is the end Result:
IMAG0026.gif
IMAG0027.gif

Thanks for Looking!
Also if anyone knows the part number to the lock cover for the spare tire please let me know!

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome post! I will definitely be doing this! Thanks Ryan!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome info! :waytogo:

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with those particular little bitty round LED tails, u need all teh light u can squeeze out. i cant imagine driving around at night (or in the daytime) with those, especially with only half of them lit up. good to see you doing something to try to improve on them...

OP
OP
l2yan

l2yan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, I will be doing this soon. Here is a link for the bumper cover.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/search.aspx?searchItem=rear%20bumper

Thanks man exactly what I need

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

with those particular little bitty round LED tails, u need all teh light u can squeeze out. i cant imagine driving around at night (or in the daytime) with those, especially with only half of them lit up. good to see you doing something to try to improve on them...

Ya I am looking into new Tails mainly cuz I'm bored of them lol. Would like something a bit more IN YOUR FACE when i stop =)

Last edited:

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get some of the clean LEDs like the most of us are running...they coem in smoke so u can keep with your theme, or tint them slightly (although i cringe i just suggested that) and they are still bright enough not to invite a rear ender. much cleaner than those dodge durango looking round ones too

OP
OP
l2yan

l2yan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get some of the clean LEDs like the most of us are running...they coem in smoke so u can keep with your theme, or tint them slightly (although i cringe i just suggested that) and they are still bright enough not to invite a rear ender. much cleaner than those dodge durango looking round ones too

I think I'm going to get those. If anyone has some Smoked ones from X3 they want to get rid of let me know!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...75381&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_7373wt_1165

Last edited:

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried this today and it kept blowing the fuse. I was real careful in following the directions, wires, etc.....so much for that.

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
ok u cought me. im not gonna lie. i have no clue what it means. i just wanted to put something there so i could refer to it later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645