LED off road light suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking off the halogen lights I have on my grill guard and want to do some sort of LED lights to replace it.

My question is if I should attach 2 circular LEDs to the grill guard, one LED bar to the grill guard, one LED bar behind the grill, or one LED bar across the roof

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438054244.928201.jpg

This photo is what it looks like without any off road lights

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Go Rhino grill guard (no side pieces). I'm looking for one LED light bar approx. 20"-24" wide with both spot & wide double row LEDs. The mounting holes are 16" apart. Adjustable mounting brackets seem the only way to go for what I want.

ArmedArtist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I say bar.
I have an Amazon "special" 52 inch on the bumper of my 1990 Trooper. ITs crazy bright.
I decided to not go windshield because I read a TON of reviews and forums and most say that when above the windshield, you get a bad glare off the glass and hood.
Having it on top was made for Baja racing when they are flying at 110mph in the dark. They need to throw the light as far as it can go.
But I did also read that some Baja guys done like them up top and moved all there lights to be in front somewhere.

I drive in the deserts of SoCal at a top speed of 45 (old suspension in Trooper) so I didn't really need to throw the light so far.

I am going to put a curved 30 on the bumper or behind the grill of my 04 Tahoe and MAYBE put something bigger above the windshield mounted to a roof rack.

OP
OP
Blue2002Tahoe

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest reason I need the light is for driving through hilly country highways in Missouri.

When putting the lights behind the grill is he output affected much?

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Also, should I go flood light or spot light or combo?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where at in Missouri? My wife's dad used to live in reed springs. Between Springfield and Branson. Definitely some curvy hilly back roads lol. Honestly I think your better off with some good hid projectors. Much better light output without blinding people. We drove alot of back roads and I was surprised how many people were on them at night. Here in texas on country back roads it's pretty empty and you could use your highs or a led bar alot, but there you would be constantly turning them on and off... just my 2 cents...

I know I use my retrofit way more than I would a led bar. And when I kick my quad highs on I still have better distance than a 50" led bar. I compared it to a guy on the road, he had hids in lows and fogs, plus the bar. He had more foreground light, but that makes your distant vision worse. And I still had better distance lighting.

OP
OP
Blue2002Tahoe

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to school at Mizzou in Columbia but I travel to Louisiana, Missouri to visit family a lot, about an hour north of St. Louis. I usually don't see a lot of cars depending on the time of day I guess.

One advantage of the LED bar is I wouldn't have any trouble doing it myself, but I can't say the same about HID's

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to school at Mizzou in Columbia but I travel to Louisiana, Missouri to visit family a lot, about an hour north of St. Louis. I usually don't see a lot of cars depending on the time of day I guess.

One advantage of the LED bar is I wouldn't have any trouble doing it myself, but I can't say the same about HID's

Yea, I would wire it to your high beams. Because Im sure you will be turning on and off alot and its easier to hit the highs than reach over and hit the fog button.

A retrofit isnt hard at all. A little time, a dremel and some projectors. It is just very tedious. You have to make sure your cut off is level and even with the other. Also to make small cuts here and there to make everything fit right, trimming the shrouds.

I mean my first true retrofit was my current one.

OP
OP
Blue2002Tahoe

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a friend of mine who works for defcon led and he said he could get me a pretty good discount. I might do the retrofit in the future as well.

If I do just an LED bar is it better located at the height of the grill than the roof?

ArmedArtist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Remember HID's don't like to be switched on and off a lot. LED's can be turned on and off all the time. Put a 30 inch on the bumper and you will be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvain_Yukon