Leaky Floors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdwigg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently replaced my carpets in my 97 tahoe and found the old carpet to be wet and moist. I thought nothing of it while replacing but that it was odd, and now my new carpet has been in it also is becoming wet and damp, but mostly in the floor pans below the dash and the rear cargo section.

Anyone have an idea as to what could be causing these leaks in the middle of the vehicle and not just around where weather stripping could fail

:hmmm2:

itsagaas

Reaction score
wet carpet

RDWIGG,
I think just about all of us with the OBS Tahoes see this wet carpet issue. I replaced my carpet and seat covers a few months ago. Some things I did to stop water in the front: 1) sealed around all screws holding the cowl pieces (3) in, and 2) with the front right inner fender removed installed an antenna cable through-firewall grommet. The old one was not in the firewall at all so that was about a 1" hole to let water in. It should be possible to install the antenna grommet from inside the truck.
My '96 2-door has a rear hatch (not barn doors). I replaced all of the weather stripping and adjusted the position of the top hinges to get a more consistent gap along the top of the glass panel. It still leaks slightly when tested with a hose directly on the hatch but remains dry during most rain events. I view sealing the rear hatch completely as a work in process. There many other people on this forum with posts about water leaks.
Please let us know how it goes and what works to keep the water from getting in on your ride.

dudeface

Reaction score
your windshield leaks................same problem on many tahoes I have seen. its a bad seal somewhere, probably the top corner. also the heater motor/heater core area close to the passenger side under the hood often has leaks as well. take whatever caulking method you prefer and try to re seal these areas.

peace

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your windshield leaks................same problem on many tahoes I have seen. its a bad seal somewhere, probably the top corner. also the heater motor/heater core area close to the passenger side under the hood often has leaks as well. take whatever caulking method you prefer and try to re seal these areas.

peace
X2 might be the hvac duct under the wiper cowl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n