Leaking windshield fluid reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realized the windshield fluid reservoir is leaking on my 2004 1500.

I marked where it’s dripping from. Looks like the connection to the tank.

Can I get away with just replacing the grommet?

IMG_1344.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpegIMG_1354.jpeg

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reservoirs usually crack over time. You can try to seal it with rtv or another silicone. They get a lot of abuse where they are. Good luck.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reservoirs usually crack over time. You can try to seal it with rtv or another silicone. They get a lot of abuse where they are. Good luck.
Ah okay, right. Thanks. Makes sense. Might as well replace the tank while in there if doing just the grommet anyway.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've this on my 06 Suburban. It's either the pump seal or the level seal. I haven't seen the pump seal, only a new pump that comes with a new seal. The Car Doctor on YT has a video on how to replace it and he does it w/o removing the wheel splash shield...

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score

He said reservoirs can crack in really cold climates, but it's usually the seals. I've got a pump and level on my Amazon cart after I watched this video. He gives that part number in the video.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

He said reservoirs can crack in really cold climates, but it's usually the seals. I've got a pump and level on my Amazon cart after I watched this video. He gives that part number in the video.

Nice, thanks for this vid!

I actually did find the pump seal on RockAuto, it’s out of stock, but has a part number (Dorman 49520), so perhaps I’ll try this first before tearing out to the battery and replacing the tank.

IMG_1371.jpeg

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for this vid!

I actually did find the pump seal on RockAuto, it’s out of stock, but has a part number (Dorman 49520), so perhaps I’ll try this first before tearing out to the battery and replacing the tank.

View attachment 410819
Oh nice. I saw that part, but didn't look to see what that part number was for. Is the GM part above on the screenshot the same seal/grommet?

My pump works just fine. Before I watched that video I was honestly just thinking of removing the seals and adding a bit of RTV to them. I'm pretty sure that's what are leaking on mine. I may still try that...

My 99 Silverado NBS also leaks a bit from the same general area.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my tank a couple weeks ago. ( it was a replacement from 4 years ago... it had a mold defect, where the pump 'snaps' in against the tank......
EASY to replace...
Remove battery, battery tray, pop out 4 plastic grommets at wheel well ( turn front tire to a 'hard left' ).... fold to rear, inner wheel well ( secure with a bungie).... I believe, 1 A Auto has a good video. AutoZone has a Dorman replacement for about $40 bucks.
Rear pump : 6-701 Front pump : 6-700.
Mark the fluid lines to pump, ( front/rear ) they look the same...

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add....... The front and rear pumps, have different elect connectors. So you won't mistake which connector to use. Don't be surprised if the pump seal 'ring' looks different. there are 2 different shaped styles. Both work.
Tank-bolt mounts...... ( 3 @ 8mm ? ) .. Top, next to filler cap , inboard side. Middle at battery tray .. Bottom, ( hard to see ), inboard, about 5 inches, up from bottom of tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo