Kinda draggin it's ass. lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opiefavors

Reaction score
I know its a huge heavy vehicle but this thing is slow. I don't want to make it a race car, I have one of those. The real problem is I cant hardly pass anyone. It don't matter what speed I'm going or if I'm stopped it just don't want to go. Its a 2000 Yukon XL 2500 6.0 all stock. Anything I can check or change to make it GO?
I do regular maintenance on it. Just did oil change, changed air filter, tried to change fuel filter but couldn't get it loose(gonna soak the bolts a few times for a couple of days).
I was planning on changing the muffler to the dual in dual out to maybe free up the exhaust.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
black bear performance custom tune. go to their website www.blackbearperformance.com

those 6.0's are detuned like CRAZY from the factory. if you went with the higher octane 93 octane tune your looking at about a 40hp gain. if your patient you can also check on when they are doing an in person tune near by and set that up. that way justin will be in your car with his laptop getting live info and fine tune everything to your truck. just read the info on the website.

where are you located? black bear is definitely not the only one who provides this service but they do a great job. if your in the san antonio tx area nelson performance is another shop that is local that does great tunes and also does the same mail order style but bbp might be a little easier since they specialize in the mail order/in person tunes.

OP
OP
O

opiefavors

Reaction score
Yeah Ive read a lot of threads about a BB tune. I'm saving up for the 05+ e fan so I'm going to include the BB tune with it. I'm guessing the warmer weather is affecting it. It seems to run better at night. I'm in Kokomo Indiana

Last edited:

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Ive read a lot of threads about a BB tune. I'm saving up for the 05+ e fan so I'm going to include the BB tune with it. I'm guessing the warmer weather is affecting it. It seems to run better at night. I'm in Kokomo Indiana

oh absolutely. my truck feels slower and heavier than it ever has this summer. although i did just fix my a/c and put brand new tires on it. plus my drive to work is 2 miles round trip so doesn't give it time to warm up. been getting about 11-12 mpg right now. usually get about 14-15. texas heat is rough.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hot weather and ac does make a difference. But my 01 Denali is no where close to a pig

pmexpert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to install supercharger kit. Something like magnacharger tvs1900 with a regular size pulley. That will not make the truck similar to race car, but will give you much more pleasure driving it ;)

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What's your budget? If it is hundreds than a tune should be all you need. But if it is thousands, a supercharger is highly recommended. We can help you out with either of these, feel free to call or PM me anytime.

OP
OP
O

opiefavors

Reaction score
Driving around the other day while it was raining temp 70-75 it seemed like a different truck. Flat out out ran my wife in her trailblazer. I was shocked. Then the next day with no rain, temp in the 75-80 degree day it was slow again. Today I got pissed at someone who pulled out in front of me I stomped it to pass them it felt weird at full throttle. Like it was hesitating or starving for air. I'm at a loss. I feel like there really is something wrong but not enough to throw a code.

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to clean the MAF sensor if not get some MAF cleaner, clean the heck out of it. Let it sit while you clean the throttle body out and reassemble. I have the 5.3l but this seems to be a common issue with these trucks. It helped mine in 90+ deg weather.

OP
OP
O

opiefavors

Reaction score
I did clean it but I will try it again. I cleaned the throttle body when i first got it cause the throttle was sticking closed. I'm also going to seafoam it then give it a French tune up:) It did wonders on other vehicles I had but they didn't have as many miles. A question about the french tune up. Is there a way to not get it to automatically shift when manually running it through the gears?

Last edited: