Keys rusted in place.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I was going to put on a different set of keys and z71 torsion bars that I have laying around but my keys are rusted on the torsion bars. I even put on penetrating fluid on it a few days ago and reapplied everyday. I put heat to it and nothing seems to be working. Like I said I have another set of keys and torsion bars so I'm not worried about what's on the truck. I thought about using a sawsall to cut them off but I have not had any luck with blades lately. If any of you have any ideas please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I was going to put on a different set of keys and z71 torsion bars that I have laying around but my keys are rusted on the torsion bars. I even put on penetrating fluid on it a few days ago and reapplied everyday. I put heat to it and nothing seems to be working. Like I said I have another set of keys and torsion bars so I'm not worried about what's on the truck. I thought about using a sawsall to cut them off but I have not had any luck with blades lately. If any of you have any ideas please let me know.

I sprayed the living crap out of my keys with pb blaster every day for 3 days before I took it to get the lift and the guy said they slipped right off. Just try soaking them for a few days

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Got a air hammer? Use the flat hammer bit and hit it around the keys. Sometimes it needs a good shocking to break free the rust

OP
OP
M

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No airhammer. I will keep spraying them. And try in another week.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Can try using a regular 5lb hammer if you got room to swing. Not that expensive from Harbor freight

OP
OP
M

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 3lb for about 3 hours this morning.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy fix,
Drive to your nearest dealership and trade it in on a new 2017. :grd:

It's only money, right.:party36:

OP
OP
M

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife has a 2010 yukon xl denali. But hopefully this will be a 3rd vehicle soon. I'm just trying to get it ready for the 600 mile move we are about to make.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat is definitely your friend! I used a MAPP gas torch on mine, heat for a minute, beat for a minute, heat for a minute, beat for a minute.... The passenger side took my about 5 minutes, driver's side about 15.

If not, then you can just cut the bars. But, any old metal blade WILL NOT cut through the hardened steel. You'll need some carbide or diamond grit blades, they are about $9 each at Lowe's or HD. They might not be with all the other blades, they might be in the plumbing section - they are a necessity when trying to cut black iron pipe or cast iron drains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE