Key Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbrannon64

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
my first post here
I have a 2000 4dr tahoe Z71. the 1999 body style
I wanted to level it out so I got the torsion key 3" lift. after I installed it I adjusted the key bolt back to where it was with the stock keys per the instrutions. after driving around the block and measuring the front sat more than 3"s more than the back WOW
so I backed the key bolt out as far as I could and the front is still about an inch taller
so I geuss I will go with a 2" block kit for the rear and then adjust the front
What I'm wondering is with that combo. what size tire would I be able to put on. I notice that the stock wheels have all offset to the back of the wheel
so I'm guessing I would need different wheels or spacers to change to much different size tire.
is that right?

thanks Mike

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
you can run a 285 tire on stock rims and it will look great, any wider and your going to want to swap rims to something w/ a little less backspacing.

OP
OP
M

mbrannon64

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you
If I do go with a different rim. how big do you think I could go?

Mike

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17" or 18" are proportional and still give you enough rubber that you can handle rough terrain and not pop tires i utsa have the same vehicle.. i deffinatly would at least do 17" for sure. allot of cars now are coming with 17'' tires so if you ever need used tires a 17'' rim is the easiest to find a tire for but if thats not a prob i would suggest 18''

OP
OP
M

mbrannon64

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Kickitandholdit but I think I worded that wrong
I'm not a big fan of that big rim little rubber deal..it's a 4x4

what I was trying to ask is with what amount's to a 3" lift how big of tire can I go
on a 16" rim without a rubbing concern's and what backspacing should I look for

Thanks Mike

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
On your stock rim which is a 16x7 w/ 5.5" of back spacing i would only go up to a 305, even w/ that you will probably have some rub on the frame. If your keeping with stock i would just go 285 and you will minimize rubbing and cupping on the tire. If you go aftermarket i would look into something around 8" inches wide and 5-4.5" of backspacing, then you could get away w/ a wider tire.

This was my 285 tire on stock rims, had no rubbing and good even wear on the tread.

cepek3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbrannon64

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks 99COOP
Just the kind of answer I was looking for

Mike

pic was a great help also

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to run a 33x12.5 on my stock rim with no lift. Rubbed a little on big dips, I think you would be safe. coops suggestion would be the same height just a little skinnier. I used to run both sizes.

OP
OP
M

mbrannon64

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment bowtiefreak
I ran 31/10.50's on my wrangler w/ 2 in spacer lift and 2in wheel spacers without an issue ..with it.. I just really like the stock wheel look..
I really want to go as wide and as tall as I can without lifting any Higher
and going bigger than a 16 in rim....I like the rubber Look
I like my stock rims ..but if I need to go wider to get the look I want I guess I will have to do that

Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo