Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks for the confirmation and sharing the link. That seems like a much better solution that just simply replacing the bulbs with sometimes questionable LED bulbs :)

Very welcome, always glad to help.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally broke down and bought the upgraded LED puddle lights I have had my eyes on for a while. I found these after upgrading the tag lights to a similar style replacement.

The camera seems to pick up a lot more light than what is visible to the naked eye so the old LED bulbs I had in the original housings seem way brighter on camera than in real life.

While the upgraded LED 194 bulbs I had in the original puddle lights were an improvement over the factory incandescent bulbs they are no where near as bright as the new ones.

View attachment 408690
New on left, original on right

View attachment 408691
Original with single LED 194 bulb

View attachment 408692
New LED "pod" style

Here are the links to the tag lights...
Gempro LED License Plate Lights Rear Bumper Tag Lamp Assembly for 2007-2014 Chevy Suburban Tahoe GMC Yukon Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6000K White 2PCS https://a.co/d/739rGe8

And the link for the puddle lights...
FetonAuto Mirror Light LED Puddle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG2MMLSD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Also a pic of said tag lights...
View attachment 408693

In case anyone is interested.
Is that you taking a whiz in front of the truck?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, no. I had my oldest son stand in front to block out the headlight because it was shining on the trailer which was washing out the picture and making it hard to see the puddle light.
Don't let Biff detract from the top notch pics you posted. They couldn't have been better. :waytogo:

:crazy:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was messing around in the shop the other day and realized I had a set of those headlights you modded- the ones that are black with the clear reflector. Was aiming to throw 'em in as-is with all LEDs but can't help but to consider doing the "right thing" with a projector retrofit. I re-read through your whole saga (and was reminded of a particular member's racism :p) but never saw any full frontal finished pics. I really don't like the eyeball look, but that's what you get with projectors. Also, I'm not clear on which projectors you used. Were they the mini whatever-they're-called ones that @RichardCranium used? IIRC, his were the smallest and required the least amount of modding.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was messing around in the shop the other day and realized I had a set of those headlights you modded- the ones that are black with the clear reflector. Was aiming to throw 'em in as-is with all LEDs but can't help but to consider doing the "right thing" with a projector retrofit. I re-read through your whole saga (and was reminded of a particular member's racism :p) but never saw any full frontal finished pics. I really don't like the eyeball look, but that's what you get with projectors. Also, I'm not clear on which projectors you used. Were they the mini whatever-they're-called ones that @RichardCranium used? IIRC, his were the smallest and required the least amount of modding.
Mini D2S 4.0 :cheers:

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

I used the Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 projectors. My only complaint is the lenses on those headlights are starting to show some yellowing already. I am thinking of baking them back open and swapping the original lenses over onto them after cleaning sanding and clear coating them with 2k clear. I know it seems counter intuitive to swap lenses that need to be cleared but the cheap headlights seem like they have micro cracking inside the clear lense as that is when I see the "yellow" looking cracks is when the headlights are actually on.

This is an older pic.

20210529_172452.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 projectors. My only complaint is the lenses on those headlights are starting to show some yellowing already. I am thinking of baking them back open and swapping the original lenses over onto them after cleaning sanding and clear coating them with 2k clear. I know it seems counter intuitive to swap lenses that need to be cleared but the cheap headlights seem like they have micro cracking inside the clear lense as that is when I see the "yellow" looking cracks is when the headlights are actually on.

This is an older pic.

View attachment 420271

I'm hoping that, by keeping mine parked inside in the dark >90% of the time, my cheap housings will stay clear for a good long while. Thanks for the pic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan