Just put the '96 Burb back on the road for the winter and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@east302 ,
If I said no, would you try to stop me?LOL

All joking aside, there’s still some structural integrity evident. Been coming on for the last couple years.

Here’s the outside side of that frame rail.
It’s solid.

IMG_5521.jpeg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@east302 ,
If I said no, would you try to stop me?LOL

All joking aside, there’s still some structural integrity evident. Been coming on for the last couple years.

Here’s the outside side of that frame rail.
It’s solid.

View attachment 418789
Don't guys fix rusty frames like that? Doesn't appear too far gone--yet.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sealed the deal for it being her last winter. Took this pic about 3 weeks ago.

View attachment 418766
H_O-Lee Chit! That looks horrible!

It's kinda a hard area to repair because of the bend and transition from box to c-channel.

A cut-and-replace from another good donor frame is probably what I would try if I was in this situation. Is the other side similar?

Sadly, here in the South, otherwise good vehicle get sent to the crusher (beater vehicles that get stripped, wrecked, parted out, etc.)

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't guys fix rusty frames like that? Doesn't appear too far gone--yet.
I know guys who would weld a patch there. I won’t do that. I’m told it wouldn’t pass NY inspection if I did that.

H_O-Lee Chit! That looks horrible!

It's kinda a hard area to repair because of the bend and transition from box to c-channel.

A cut-and-replace from another good donor frame is probably what I would try if I was in this situation. Is the other side similar?

Sadly, here in the South, otherwise good vehicle get sent to the crusher (beater vehicles that get stripped, wrecked, parted out, etc.)
I’m not fixing any more integrity issues on this rig. If it dies catastrophically tomorrow, I’ll park it for parts. If it makes it until Spring, it still gets parked permanently. I’m on burrowed time with it now already I feel.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I then disconnected the fill and vent hoses from the fill neck so I can lower the tank…

View attachment 418759

Next, I lowered the tank far enough to get my head up there and remove the fuel pump lock ring. The repair fittings someone had installed previously were too rusted for me to remove without damaging the fuel pump or lines….

View attachment 418758

The tank finally disconnected and lowered to the ground…

View attachment 418760

Stay tuned. More to follow later when I have more time to upload…

L3VC.gif

tenor.gif

after-watching-every-horror-movie-at-night-shocked.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz