Just bought an ‘18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In some situations, they are and the advice taken is assumed by the recipient to be such. Here's a hypothetical example. A response is, I have run my **** in Auto for the last year with no issues (what GM Legal considers the subtle difference between Auto and AWD is unknown to me). The recipient takes that to be expert advice (based upon experience and potentially "holding out") and drives the **** in Auto mode at all times. His transfer case then fails and he takes his **** to the dealer for warranty service. The dealer notes the transfer case is set to Auto and questions the owner who responds truthfully. GM refuses the repair under warranty citing a failure to follow the user manual. The owner sues GM *and* the individual providing the advice. Now, depending who is on the bench, this case could go in several directions including dismissing the claim against the individual providing the advice ... after, of course, that individual pays substantial legal costs (multi-state civil cases are expensive). Here's another example: If the vehicle is always driven in Auto mode, it is safe to assume that very same owner/driver would park on a hill where there is mud, wet leaves, snow, gravel, etc. After exiting the vehicle, it slides down the hill, striking another vehicle and injuring or killing someone. Read page 224 (2018 Yukon Owner's Manual). In layman's terms, you're screwed, along with anyone else involved in that decision by the owner/driver.

LEXISNEXIS searches are not free. You buying? (I bill $350.00 per hour on top of that).

There is a trend today that many will not take responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof) and not be prepared for the consequences of their actions. Owning and driving a vehicle carries with it various responsibilities (legal and otherwise). Knowing the proper operating procedures among them. When the answer to a question is clearly stated in the manufacturer's Owner's Manual, that text is the only valid and proper response. Conduct yourself accordingly.

Whoa. Anyway at least on my Expedition the way it is was the front locking hubs were activated in auto and therefore spun with the front half shafts, but they spun freely. The transfer case sent no power forward to the front differential unless slip was detected. All auto meant was your Hubs were locked and armed so it was no big deal. I have no idea how GM 4WD works haven’t owned many. I’m usually a Ford guy, love the Expeditions but not a brand loyalist I’ll drive any nice American vehicle. That being said I’d think it’s the same situation here with GM that no additional wear is added. The manual is the manual though.

Last edited:

Anon2015

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since you have full access to LN, you'd know (a) how to form a search to return appropriate citations; and, (b) don't need to waste my time doing what you already know. Furthermore, there's more than one. Feel free to use Westlaw if you'd prefer.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since you have full access to LN, you'd know (a) how to form a search to return appropriate citations; and, (b) don't need to waste my time doing what you already know. Furthermore, there's more than one. Feel free to use Westlaw if you'd prefer.

There are MULTIPLE cases of people casually offering their views on an online car forum, that have been successfully sued and you can’t name a single one?

This is getting more and more bizarre lol.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legal disclaimer - I am a regular Joe and am available to be an expert Joe witness if needed for a nominal fee.

For me -

daily dry or rainy - 2WD

a bit sleety, and melty, snow melts as it hits ground - 2WD or Auto 4WD if I sense rear is slipping

visible accumulation snow or icey spots on road - 4WD HI

ice on road - 4WD HI but I typically avoid driving on ice.

boat ramp, incline on dirt - 4WD HI (I shift the gear to LO)

stuck in mud or sand or snow - 4WD LO

discarded banana peels - 4WD

smooshed zombies - 4WD auto

OP
OP
R

Ryan6769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haha I love the disclaimer Burby. And thanks Galante — I’ve got my legal representation at the ready LOL.

OP
OP
R

Ryan6769

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Still trying to see what gear I’m in when driving. The Head Up Display tells me D or P or N or whatever. But it won’t say the actual gear 3,4,5,6,7 etc, etc.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying to see what gear I’m in when driving. The Head Up Display tells me D or P or N or whatever. But it won’t say the actual gear 3,4,5,6,7 etc, etc.

I dont think it does unless you are in M...

Bowana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Being from Canada we have all kinds of ugly weather and snow 6 months of the year. Having driven GM 4 x 4's since 1986 I can attest to the use of Auto 4 and use it a great deal of the time when the conditions warrant and that is when the city streets turn to ice with intersections being the worst. On the highway I would run it when icy but never when dry or raining as I did not feel that the back wheels on a 6000 lb rig would spin if hydroplaning and bring the fronts to add traction. Now out on gravel the same thing. Even when running in back roads with 4 to 6 inches of snow I still run in auto and only use 4 x 4 when the going is heavy or I am stuck.
When you run in auto 4 there are parts that turn all the time and will prematurely wear out but as another poster on here mentioned, it is your money.
Read the manual and go from there as a last resort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA