Just bought an ‘18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience 4x4 is much better than AWD. Most AWD systems don’t split torque evenly 50/50 between the front and rear like a true 4x4 with a transfer case. They will throw a little juice to the rear and it doesn’t help you to the same extent in mud or heavy snow like 4x4.

That may be true of lesser awd systems but advanced ones from Audi and Mercedes are amazing. The awd on my Infiniti suuuuuuuuucckkkkeed. My Mercedes without snows runs circles around my yukon (WITH snows) in the white stuff. 4matic will throw at least 60% to the rear. I think the electronically controlled processes combined with the lower center of gravity make it the better snow vehicle*.
Your experience may differ of course.

*yukon is the ‘fun’ choice when I want to blast through snowbanks and do donuts in parking lots though!!!

Anon2015

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh there’s an owners manual? I wasn’t aware of that. I’ll have to read it.

Anyway, next question for the forum — I don’t see anything displayed showing what gear I am in when driving. I’d like to know this. I was looking around in the settings and didn’t see anything.

You have a $70K plus vehicle...rather a good idea to protect your investment and read the book (which would clearly answer your "next question". BTW, anyone can give you advise...if it turns out wrong, they can be culpable. So...no answers here but do take the time to read the book instead of being lazy making others do it for you.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it turns out wrong, they can be culpable.

Please source the case law please. (I’ll read it myself once you do).

And layoff the salt man, eesh.
8490e0e08f7039b363d22351dfdded09.jpg

Serg-214

Reaction score
A couple of car salesmen have told me....for some reason "old people" love the white/pearl color. Any other color is too extreme for them and may hurt their eyes!

Anon2015

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please source the case law please. (I’ll read it myself once you do).

And layoff the salt man, eesh.
8490e0e08f7039b363d22351dfdded09.jpg

The applicable case law here would be from the State of Washington (except where the 'expert' advice originated from Canada). LexisNexis would be your source. Happy to provide my WSDOT ID (in person). I don't mind people asking questions, I dislike individuals who cannot take the time to read the manual but have plenty of time to bother others about the basic information needed to utilize the vehicle.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The applicable case law here would be from the State of Washington (except where the 'expert' advice originated from Canada). LexisNexis would be your source. Happy to provide my WSDOT ID (in person). I don't mind people asking questions, I dislike individuals who cannot take the time to read the manual but have plenty of time to bother others about the basic information needed to utilize the vehicle.

Just cite the case and I’ll look it up myself.

Nobody here is acting as an ‘expert’ or being paid for their advise so I’m very interested to read it. Thanks!!

Anon2015

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In some situations, they are and the advice taken is assumed by the recipient to be such. Here's a hypothetical example. A response is, I have run my **** in Auto for the last year with no issues (what GM Legal considers the subtle difference between Auto and AWD is unknown to me). The recipient takes that to be expert advice (based upon experience and potentially "holding out") and drives the **** in Auto mode at all times. His transfer case then fails and he takes his **** to the dealer for warranty service. The dealer notes the transfer case is set to Auto and questions the owner who responds truthfully. GM refuses the repair under warranty citing a failure to follow the user manual. The owner sues GM *and* the individual providing the advice. Now, depending who is on the bench, this case could go in several directions including dismissing the claim against the individual providing the advice ... after, of course, that individual pays substantial legal costs (multi-state civil cases are expensive). Here's another example: If the vehicle is always driven in Auto mode, it is safe to assume that very same owner/driver would park on a hill where there is mud, wet leaves, snow, gravel, etc. After exiting the vehicle, it slides down the hill, striking another vehicle and injuring or killing someone. Read page 224 (2018 Yukon Owner's Manual). In layman's terms, you're screwed, along with anyone else involved in that decision by the owner/driver.

LEXISNEXIS searches are not free. You buying? (I bill $350.00 per hour on top of that).

There is a trend today that many will not take responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof) and not be prepared for the consequences of their actions. Owning and driving a vehicle carries with it various responsibilities (legal and otherwise). Knowing the proper operating procedures among them. When the answer to a question is clearly stated in the manufacturer's Owner's Manual, that text is the only valid and proper response. Conduct yourself accordingly.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be true of lesser awd systems but advanced ones from Audi and Mercedes are amazing. The awd on my Infiniti suuuuuuuuucckkkkeed. My Mercedes without snows runs circles around my yukon (WITH snows) in the white stuff. 4matic will throw at least 60% to the rear. I think the electronically controlled processes combined with the lower center of gravity make it the better snow vehicle*.
Your experience may differ of course.

*yukon is the ‘fun’ choice when I want to blast through snowbanks and do donuts in parking lots though!!!

I agree AWD like those you mentioned are great for on road and in some cases outperform coventrional 4WD. But at the end of the day if your gonna be in anything deep or severe 4x4 in a Truck can’t be beat. You have the ground clearance and low range gearing. I also enjoy controlling how my 4WD operates and when.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In some situations, they are and the advice taken is assumed by the recipient to be such. Here's a hypothetical example. A response is, I have run my **** in Auto for the last year with no issues (what GM Legal considers the subtle difference between Auto and AWD is unknown to me). The recipient takes that to be expert advice (based upon experience and potentially "holding out") and drives the **** in Auto mode at all times. His transfer case then fails and he takes his **** to the dealer for warranty service. The dealer notes the transfer case is set to Auto and questions the owner who responds truthfully. GM refuses the repair under warranty citing a failure to follow the user manual. The owner sues GM *and* the individual providing the advice. Now, depending who is on the bench, this case could go in several directions including dismissing the claim against the individual providing the advice ... after, of course, that individual pays substantial legal costs (multi-state civil cases are expensive). Here's another example: If the vehicle is always driven in Auto mode, it is safe to assume that very same owner/driver would park on a hill where there is mud, wet leaves, snow, gravel, etc. After exiting the vehicle, it slides down the hill, striking another vehicle and injuring or killing someone. Read page 224 (2018 Yukon Owner's Manual). In layman's terms, you're screwed, along with anyone else involved in that decision by the owner/driver.

LEXISNEXIS searches are not free. You buying? (I bill $350.00 per hour on top of that).

There is a trend today that many will not take responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof) and not be prepared for the consequences of their actions. Owning and driving a vehicle carries with it various responsibilities (legal and otherwise). Knowing the proper operating procedures among them. When the answer to a question is clearly stated in the manufacturer's Owner's Manual, that text is the only valid and proper response. Conduct yourself accordingly.

Interesting!

I have full access to LN. Can you just provide the case and not hypotheticals?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrenchmaster