John Weeks tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel sort of guilty posting this here and even thinking about it really since Blackbear is such an active vendor and Jenna has chimed in to help with several questions I've posted. So I'm trying to dance around this delicately but an opportunity to get an in person tune has come up and I impulsively want to jump on it and I could use some advice from the TYF. Has anyone heard of John Weeks? I hear he's kind of tough to get but I managed to get a street tune set up with him. Despite Blackbear's outstanding reputation and the advantages to their service, I like the idea of doing it in person. I've read some mixed reviews on John...

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black beat does in person tunes too, and they have very good reviews overall

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In tune will beat a generic tune any time. The tuner itself is the most important. You're trusting them with your $10,000+ drive train if something was to go wrong

I've had a vehicle or two tuned by Justin and was great. I also have a local guy that has great reviews on the TBSS scene and tuned my TBSS and it was great as well.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black beat does in person tunes too, and they have very good reviews overall

Yep and I wish I could make it to one! But the 2 that are reasonably close to me in the Southeast I already know I can't make it to.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

In tune will beat a generic tune any time. The tuner itself is the most important. You're trusting them with your $10,000+ drive train if something was to go wrong

I've had a vehicle or two tuned by Justin and was great. I also have a local guy that has great reviews on the TBSS scene and tuned my TBSS and it was great as well.

You hit my concern on the head. I'm pretty confident the performance will be just fine but the whole "trust" thing is the issue for me...

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note

The drone go away?

Nah but I'm sort of used to it now, it only bothers me when I have passengers. All my guy friends think it's cool but yeah there's a lot of stuff that's cool for a few minutes... I took it to a good ol' boy muffler shop that my buddy recommended. He basically told me I should have bought a magnaflow and that was that. he shrugged me off pretty quick when I mentioned a J pipe or high flow resonator. Maybe he's right maybe he's not, I'm going to try another shop and get another opinion.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Blackbear has tuned my trucks many times. I've been through 2-3 supercharged applications that justin did mail order tunes. I've also had in person tunes, and an autocal tune.

I can tell you that the only difference I've noticed between the in person and the autocal is the ability to adjust on demand while justin is in my passenger seat. Once it's dialed in, it's fine. I noticed nothing different when they tuned it via the autocal.

I can tell you that I would NOT tune another vehicle without an autocal. The ability to put it back to stock on the fly as well as have different tunes available for towing, economy use, performance, etc, is imperative.

And like previously stated, if you feel solid about letting someone tune $10k+ worth of drivetrain without the accolades of Blackbear, then have at it.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that I would NOT tune another vehicle without an autocal. The ability to put it back to stock on the fly as well as have different tunes available for towing, economy use, performance, etc, is imperative.

I had not considered this, I occasionally tow a boat or other trailer, thank you. :hmmm2:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autocal tune via recording a log and sending into blackbear is pretty much like an in person tune. I've done both methods in person and autocal and it's pretty much the same outcome.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Autocal tune via recording a log and sending into blackbear is pretty much like an in person tune. I've done both methods in person and autocal and it's pretty much the same outcome.

Exactly what Felix said.

There are no noticeable differences at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired_One