Jeep Grand Wagoneer | color me impressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the kid's Jeep; so as one does was in the Jeep dealer getting parts over the weekend :).

They had one of the Grand Wagoneer's in stock.
Loaded out, sitting all pretty, so I spent some time with it.

Sitting in the Wagoneer I didn't feel any tinge of wanting to be in the wife's Denali, if anything I liked the Jeep interior better, especially the infotainment. With 510hp under the hood it was a hoot to drive. $'s to $'s the Grand Wagoneer was within $10k of a Yukon, the regular Wagoneer could be had for significantly less, but only the 420hp engine available.

The real question, is an extra $5k worth it to go to an X7 M60i over the Grand Wagoneer?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...you will get the legendary Stallantis Reliability...and the GW stellar exterior good looks...if you like those two things, pull the trigger and come back and fill us in. When I bought my XL Denali, I considered the GW, drove one, but the lack of the L version at the time, and the GW price sent me to the Denali.

I don't think they are selling particularly well right now, and are deeply discounted at our local Jeep dealer, so a Bargain may be found. Given the General not exactly lighting up the reliability on their V8's, it may be worth considering. If I had to go again, the MB GLS class would get a serious look from me.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for giving us your impressions of the Grand Wagoneer. Much appreciated. Always like to hear impressions about the competition.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Jeeps and would have bought one , except for 2 reasons....No Diesel and they peed me off by waiting for it to drop 2 year after they said it was going to be available....I waited and then no diesel...
Went and found the only diesel SUV left.... Pretty well happy but like some of the Waggy's features better for sure....

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a few Jeep Wrangler's, still have one sitting in the driveway. It is fun to drive, but the 3.0 liter twin turbo in the Wagoneer has the same achilles heel, the oil cooler, which will start leaking around 60,000 to 100,000 miles. They are notorious for leaking, and are not cheap to replace. The parts are inexpensive, less that $200, it's the labor getting to it, $1,800. It uses coolant to cool the engine oil, if you don't catch a coolant leak when it starts seeping, it will pour out when the seepage turns into a leak. When the leak happens, you will likely end up replacing the head gaskets and heads around $4,500, and if you don't catch it if it's the oil leak side when seepage starts, you will end up replacing the block, $9,500. It's just a bad design that has been around for years, and is on most Penstar and smaller Hemi's. I am not sure if the Hemi V8 has the same issue, but I would rather have a diesel over a gasser if I need a V8, just a personal preference.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wagoner and grand wagoner have giant incentives on them. Like huge for old new product that has been sitting. If you like them roll the dice. Resale will be terrible when they are giving doing 25k off msrp and sometimes more.

The hurricane I6 looks promising. The hemis are reliable enough. I think it's a dud tho. Just like the aspen was.

Stellantis as a whole is in deep trouble. Dodge is doing OK. But Jeep is dying. And the overall conglomerate is having a terrible time.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep totally missed a great opportunity with the Wagoneer. I waited for them; but they look like a giant Chevy HHR from the side view. I think the original 60's to 80's models look better.

Last edited:

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really surprised ram/dodge still hasn't come out with a Tahoe/Yukon equivalent after all these years. Guess the wagoneer was an attempt, but the low end versions look cheap as all get out and are $10k+ more than a mid level tahoe

malba2366

Reaction score
really surprised ram/dodge still hasn't come out with a Tahoe/Yukon equivalent after all these years. Guess the wagoneer was an attempt, but the low end versions look cheap as all get out and are $10k+ more than a mid level tahoe
The interior is a lot nicer than the GM products at every price point, until you get up to Escalade. The exterior looks terrible though, manages to be boring and ugly at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz