Issues with Retracting Side Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their retracting side steps going back up while any of the doors are still
in the open position? Sometimes we will open the driver door or the driver rear door and the step will
come down, then quickly retract. There is no pattern since it happens randomly and maybe 1 - 2x each week with daily use. Any ideas? Is there a faulty sensor or controller that may be contributing?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Must be some sort of pinch sensor. See if there is anything caught in the tracks

WCDENALI

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their retracting side steps going back up while any of the doors are still
in the open position? Sometimes we will open the driver door or the driver rear door and the step will
come down, then quickly retract. There is no pattern since it happens randomly and maybe 1 - 2x each week with daily use. Any ideas? Is there a faulty sensor or controller that may be contributing?

I had this issue with my 2015 Tahoe that GM eventually bought back. The steps would come down then retract whenever they wanted. It even happened a few times while I was driving the vehicle. Mine also was random. The dealership looked at it several times and was never able to figure it out. Per the dealership, the next step was to replace them but never got to that point since GM repurchased the vehicle. Good luck.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
friends have had issues on other vehicles... usually debris... something simple as sand can mess them up.

think one had bad sensor/connection once

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It only happens 1-2x/week and only on the driver's side. Nothing hung up and the rig is
kept pretty clean. Hoping that lubrication of the hinges this past weekend keeps it from happening anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemilioflores89