Is there any aftermarket product that would fill in between second row bucket seats for flat surface?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimstem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! We just bought a 2018 Chevy Tahoe Premier RST Edition + RST Performance Edition. When we fold both second row and third row seats down, it leaves a big gap between the second row bucket seats. Has anyone ever found any company that makes a product to fill in that space and make the entire back of the SUV a flat surface from the back of the front seats to the back door? I'm not even sure what to call it so posting here in the general forum! Surely others have wanted to do this? We go back and forth between carting lots of humans and putting all those seats down to haul cargo or our big Great Danes!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are looking for here, so I'll show you how I closed the gap between the second row bucket seats.

Sub-Woofer Enclosure - Small File.jpg

This is my 10" subwoofer box. Please excuse the dog hair from my White Shepherds who like to sit on the subwoofer box and look out the front windshield over my right shoulder. Someone else on this Forum did something similar and put cup holder holes in his subwoofer box.

OP
OP
jimstem

jimstem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure what you are looking for here, so I'll show you how I closed the gap between the second row bucket seats.

This is my 10" subwoofer box. Please excuse the dog hair from my White Shepherds who like to sit on the subwoofer box and look out the front windshield over my right shoulder. Someone else on this Forum did something similar and put cup holder holes in his subwoofer box.

Thanks so much for the reply! This is close to what I'm thinking. I'd really like something that can sit right there when the middle seats are down and fill in that gap to make a flat surface. We have two great danes that both sit right on the folded second row seats and invariably, one or both ends up in the "hole" "trapped". I'm guessing nobody makes something like this and probably would need to be custom built?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply! This is close to what I'm thinking. I'd really like something that can sit right there when the middle seats are down and fill in that gap to make a flat surface. We have two great danes that both sit right on the folded second row seats and invariably, one or both ends up in the "hole" "trapped". I'm guessing nobody makes something like this and probably would need to be custom built?
This subwoofer box was custom built, but it free standing with quick disconnect wiring, so that I can move it out of the truck, if needed. I also carry a length of wire extension with the correct quick disconnects, so that I can move the box around inside the truck to accommodate any special space requirements.

There are literally hundreds of off-the-shelf subwoofer boxes in the marketplace. Your challenge would be to measure your gap and then look for a subwoofer box that will best fit in the gap. Once you know the required measurements of the box to fill your gap, go to Crutchfield.com and take a look at their subwoofer boxes. I recommend a 10" subwoofer, as it will give you all the clean tight bass that you need, unless you are into setting off car alarms and notifying your neighbors of your arrival 2 blocks away.

OP
OP
jimstem

jimstem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This subwoofer box was custom built, but it free standing with quick disconnect wiring, so that I can move it out of the truck, if needed. I also carry a length of wire extension with the correct quick disconnects, so that I can move the box around inside the truck to accommodate any special space requirements.

There are literally hundreds of off-the-shelf subwoofer boxes in the marketplace. Your challenge would be to measure your gap and then look for a subwoofer box that will best fit in the gap. Once you know the required measurements of the box to fill your gap, go to Crutchfield.com and take a look at their subwoofer boxes. I recommend a 10" subwoofer, as it will give you all the clean tight bass that you need, unless you are into setting off car alarms and notifying your neighbors of your arrival 2 blocks away.

Good info for anyone looking for a subwoofer. I'm just looking to make a flat deck between the two second row seats for the dogs. I don't need nor want a subwoofer....but it sounds like building something is the only way to do it.

Stshack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! We just bought a 2018 Chevy Tahoe Premier RST Edition + RST Performance Edition. When we fold both second row and third row seats down, it leaves a big gap between the second row bucket seats. Has anyone ever found any company that makes a product to fill in that space and make the entire back of the SUV a flat surface from the back of the front seats to the back door? I'm not even sure what to call it so posting here in the general forum! Surely others have wanted to do this? We go back and forth between carting lots of humans and putting all those seats down to haul cargo or our big Great Danes!
I have been using my 2022 as a camper from time to time. I fill the hole with a costco floor cushion that is designed for sleeping on - I roll it up to fit and wrap bungees around it. Not sano - but it works. I would think someone handy with a thin piece of plywood cut to the right dimensions would work as well.

padua

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using my 2022 as a camper from time to time. I fill the hole with a costco floor cushion that is designed for sleeping on - I roll it up to fit and wrap bungees around it. Not sano - but it works. I would think someone handy with a thin piece of plywood cut to the right dimensions would work as well.
I use a piece of masonite--a couple of bucks at your favorite home improvement store. Mine happens to have melamine on one side. When I'm out stargazing I can sleep on it, and when doing serious travel I can store stuff underneath. I avoid standing on it, because it's only maybe 1/8 or 3/16 inches thick. When not in use, I store it under the removable carpet in the rear of the cargo area. This is in an 03 Yukon XL.

BigAPolarBear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made this for my Tahoe. Ended up not being happy with the sound so I am now working on building another one. The only issue you will have is that the armrests have to come off to fold the seat down and would be easier to leave them off, but that causes no inside armrests. You could build the box taller so it can be used as the armrest, which is what I am doing with my second design, but then it will be higher when than the seats when folded. Today or tomorrow I will be taking the armrests off and will fold the seat to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_8307.jpeg
    IMG_8307.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 27

hoeguudr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably 'way' overkill for what you need, but I ran into this company at an Outdoor Gear Expo recently.
Pretty sure they'll do custom work for you as they're a small outfit.

-Don

Steved460

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made a pattern out of cardboard and then used a piece of 3/8" plywood, cheap black carpet from Amazon and 3m spray adhesive. Easy in and out. The dogs have full use of the back and if I go camping the sleeping bag fits. I do need to make a couple of legs for the front corners to make better.

Attachments

• IMG_6397.jpg
    IMG_6397.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6400.jpg
    IMG_6400.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660