Is 90k miles too high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miatawnt2b

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at a clean 2012 Escalade ESV Limited AWD. It has the 6.2l and the 6 speed auto tranny. The only issue I'm having trouble getting over is the mileage. It has 90k miles. Price is around $27k.

I'm not too worried about the engine, but what kinda life is left in the trans? I see lots of folks with 150+k miles, but don't know if this is typical on the orig trans.

Thoughts?

nj16yukon

Reaction score
Hard question to answer without knowing your budget and your priorities. Cars lose a lot of value when they pass 100k, so for me personally, I would not purchase a car that was about to pass that milestone. In other words, I would concede on trim level or options, to lower the mileage and stay within budget.

I did a quick Autotrader search within 500 miles of my area (NJ) and I found...

2013 Escalade ESV with 57k miles for $28,995
2013 Escalade ESV with 66k miles for $29,500

Keep in mind those are published prices, and can be negotiated down. If 27k is your budget, I think you can do better on mileage.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much depends on your priorities, budget, local market values, and your tolerance for risk. These criteria combined will steer you towards a certain combination of vehicle miles, options, condition and price.

But if your simple question is whether 90k miles is something to be concerned about for the vehicle in question, I would say to you NO.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
90k is nothing for the trans unless it's been towed with a lot then there are a lot of variables that can go into that question

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not have a issue with the 90K miles as long as I had service records showing the oil was changed every 5-7K miles..If Mobil 1 was used and the correct grade of oil was used that is a definite plus in my book.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2010 denali xl it had 86k. Now about 16 months later it's at about 130k. I bought it for a hiway vehicle and it had dealer maintenance records up 60k and I am the third owner. I haven't had any unusual problems with it.

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most important thing is are fluids the right color and smell? I bought my Tahoe with just under 200k and changed all fluids as all were nice, not clean, but ok to change/flushed. I heard you do not want to change trans after 100k, but I have not confirmed this. I just get with higher mileage if fluids are cool, mainly the tranny. Bought 92 Eddie Bauer Bronco with brown tranny fluid, flushed at 100k and lasted another 2 years, but it started slipping. Had rebuild and rebuilder said had to rebuild cause previous owner never did this... At all. Was fun to drive though.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not think twice about buying a 100K or so mile car. Take a look at the interior, if it is really clean, and it is obvious someone took care of it, that is one thing, but if the seats are ripped, the plastics are scratched to heck etc, then I would keep looking. one thing about GM, is their trans are usually pretty reliable, there are some bad ones out there, but for the most part I have never had a problem, unless you count the 1983 Buick Riviera with 200K and a 1990 Riviera with 195K that when I sold them the trans was starting to just then slip. My 133K 2007 Tahoe gives me no problems whatsoever, I would not think twice about driving to California, to New York at no given notice.

LBDelaney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2004 Tahoe LT 204k Trans is I good shape..
I also have a older c1500 294k and change out trans filter and fluid every 60k 3ed owner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpark1975