Installing Heated leather seats in 99 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jason7102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well since I don't have the correct connector on my truck, what do I connect the yellow wire to on the leather seat, to make it work as it was designed? Will there be a yellow wire somewhere under my seat or coming out of the seat belt?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Let me rephrase. on the connector on the seat side do not connect anything to the yellow wire. leave it attached to the under seat electronics but do not use the end on the connector. Just seal it up somehow. In the 1999 Tahoe that wire in the seat connector was not used outside of heater electronics yet.It was a provision for others uses later.

OP
OP
J

Jason7102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not sure I am 100% clear on the yellow wire. You said not to attach it to anything which is clear enough but then you said " In the 1999 Tahoe that wire in the seat connector was not used outside of heater electronics yet". That statement would lead me to believe that the yellow wire was used for heater electronics but nothing else yet. Are you saying that the factory vehicle side connector won't have a yellow wire in it, that the seat side connector has the yellow and when the two connectors are attached together, on a vehicle that came equipped from the factory with heated seats, the yellow male connector on the seat side will be attached to an empty female slot on the vehicle side?

By the way, I really appreciate all your help here. I just rigged up the driver's side seat with a battery and some wires in my garage and it works fine. I am going to try the pass side now.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
As far as your vehicle is concerned that is what you will most likely see. If it has a yellow wire on the plug that attaches to vehicle ensure it does not connect to any thing on vehicle side. However if you do not have a yellow wire on the connector that would attached to the vehicle connector don't be concerned either.

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i swapped mine i left the yellow undone. heater works fine and will be more hassel thatn its worth if your passenger side seatbelt doesn't have the wiring for the heated seat. just make sure your passenger turns it off.

OP
OP
J

Jason7102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I finally got the time to do the seats a few days ago. They are in and functional although the heat on the driver's side is not working. When I hooked them up to a battery in my garage, the heater seemed to work fine, although it didn't seem as hot as it should have been but I was using a rather small battery from my electric golf cart that wasn't fully charged. Now that I have them in, the driver's side heater doesn't appear to be working at all. Is there a heating element in the seat bottom and seat back? Or just the seat bottom? I also read somewhere that if the bottom element is faulty the back one (if there even is one) won't work. I ended up getting factory wiring connectors for the vehicle side from a salvage yard and I hooked up both oranges to the same power supply (aux in the fuse panel under the hood) have a good ground and have ignition power to the brown wire. If I test the heating element with a meter what value should I be looking for? I assume I would disconnect the connector under the seat and measure resistance between large orange and black. Is this correct? If the element is bad what are my options? I have read about repair by soldering in a piece of wire. This is certainly within my capabilities but I would rather find a more permanent fix.

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
I'm soooo glad both my seats came w/built in ball warmers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fstrtd666