I'm almost done with my Tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris North

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"Much less than 14.2 at a fast idle is bad wiring, bad alternator or regulator, or a bad connection or fuse link. When running at a normal slow cruising engine RPM, the voltage across the battery terminals should stay over 14.3 volts even with full load, like lights, heater blower, and everything else, running."

In essence, with only 13 volts reading on your truck it is safe to assume the charging loop is compromised.

Have you ever used Google before? Have you ever heard of a multimeter? Do you own any software-generated tools? You still have a lot of diagnostics left on the table before you throw in the towel. Do some research and fix your junk. You have the whole World Wide Web at your disposal, not to mention these books called "service manuals" available but instead resorting to your own, limited automotive knowledge. If it's too much for you, why not have a mechanic repair the issue? You're all over the place: "junk it," "looking at Fords," "need advice." This is ultimately just a rant so I can not take you seriously as it would concern any type of actual assistance.

threatening the board to replace your truck isn't going to change the status of the Tahoe's current charging fault; unless you intend to purchase a brand new "explorer" or whatever, maintenance updates along with the possibility of a whole new problem/s & challenge comes with ownership of ANY pre-owned vehicle, especially any peer-to-peer transaction for obvious reasons. You will need to be more specific in those details if you wish for your audience to know what is applicable in this instance.

If you want advice as it relates to the Tahoe, go & do some actual digging. An 'investigation' if you will; consult technical literature. Get your hands on a diagnosis tree. Since I began performing my own auto repairs I found everything I have ever needed via the ever so popular "Google" search; if not for freely (monetary sense) shared information then definitely options for various resources available for purchase. Furthermore, I use very simple phrases as to provide results of directions, write-ups & testimonials from the vast network of online communities & forums. Sometimes even adding the word 'forum' or 'thread' to my search criteria (the problem I am needing to solve) really hones in the results for that 'thread' or discussion about the problem as its already been addressed in detail. I can assure you, somebody else who owns a 2004 Tahoe has already had the same problem that you do and consulted the Internet somehow, somewhere & wrote all about it. Don't be so spec on the '2004 tahoe' since 1999-2006 is all the same, as is pickup trucks, the Avalanche, suburban. It's all the same $hit, or VERY similar in most aspects.

Daym you are a dick. The poor guy is looking for help and you belittle him. If I need help I better not ask you.

OP
OP
J

Jamo

Reaction score
You know, when he told me to do my own searching, lazy, and whatnot, at first I thought he was right. Then I realized that I joined this forum so I could get info from others without doing a lot of searching and reading. I did come across as a dick at first, but I was pissed and tired. I have offered what little I know on Tahoes to a few here, but mostly I ask questions and watch you tube how to's. Been working so far...
On a happy note, I found out that my 2-1/3 year old Interstate battery was shot. 2 year no questions replacement, being over I ended up prorated at about $55. Oh well...everything is working again (sort of) and I am happy. I still get dash display crap on a day to day basis. One day it's service 4wd, next day check engine, next day my battery charge & oil pressure are pinned right, next day they are back and the fuel/temp gauges are pinned. None of these last more than a day or two, and as of now, all working except bat/oil. Some days the whole dash display is out, everything reading as it did when I shut it down the night before. Then everything lights up and works.
I realize that this is a board where we all love our Tahoes, but mine is one whiney *****. Still love her though. Looking at Suburbans now...'09+ w/<100K. Like the Tahoes better for looks, could use the extra room.
Thanks for sticking up for me, Chris...

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You know, when he told me to do my own searching, lazy, and whatnot, at first I thought he was right. Then I realized that I joined this forum so I could get info from others without doing a lot of searching and reading. I did come across as a dick at first, but I was pissed and tired. I have offered what little I know on Tahoes to a few here, but mostly I ask questions and watch you tube how to's. Been working so far...
On a happy note, I found out that my 2-1/3 year old Interstate battery was shot. 2 year no questions replacement, being over I ended up prorated at about $55. Oh well...everything is working again (sort of) and I am happy. I still get dash display crap on a day to day basis. One day it's service 4wd, next day check engine, next day my battery charge & oil pressure are pinned right, next day they are back and the fuel/temp gauges are pinned. None of these last more than a day or two, and as of now, all working except bat/oil. Some days the whole dash display is out, everything reading as it did when I shut it down the night before. Then everything lights up and works.
I realize that this is a board where we all love our Tahoes, but mine is one whiney *****. Still love her though. Looking at Suburbans now...'09+ w/<100K. Like the Tahoes better for looks, could use the extra room.
Thanks for sticking up for me, Chris...

The forum works both ways. Tons of knowledgeable, helpful guys here, but there is still no substitute for reading as much as you possibly can. I have said before, READ IT ALL. Lol. There is certainly no shortage of information.

Have you started systematically going through all the grounding points?

OP
OP
J

Jamo

Reaction score
Some, yes. Next chance I get, I'll put my multi-meter in line with the ground to battery and start checking fuses in the power dist box. I think I still have a draw somewhere, but things are better.
Thanks...

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe your stepper motors are going bad on your gauges. They are a pretty common problem on 00-06 GMs. Pretty simple and cheap to replace though.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to replace the whole cluster panel display, right?
nope.
Very basically, you desolder the motors and resolder in new ones.
There's a guy here who does lights on speedos all the time, I think he does stepper motors too.

Need to send him mine this summer, I'm out a few lights, and three steppers are dead.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of trouble with these side battery connections. I tried removing the rubber cover off of the cable itself then reconnect the cable to the battery. Then I measured the resistance between the cable and the top battery post. I had quite a bit of resistance there. I bought a special side post wire brush and cleaned up the terminals and cable connections. This must be done with that rubber grommet removed (not just the battery post cover).

Oops, sorry, just saw there was a 2nd page and you found your problem. That said, I have had a ton of trouble with keeping side post terminals clean and conducting well.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope.
Very basically, you desolder the motors and resolder in new ones.
There's a guy here who does lights on speedos all the time, I think he does stepper motors too.

Need to send him mine this summer, I'm out a few lights, and three steppers are dead.

Yep, changing the stepper motors is fairly easy "IF" you know how to solder and UN-solder. That's the hard part, soldering skills. If you are NOT skilled at all in soldering on electronics, then you can possibly damage the circuit board. But once you get a little practice, it's really easy. The main thing is that you need to learn how to get the solder hot enough to melt it, but NOT get the circuit board so hot that you damage it.
I am actually working on a cluster right now for a member on here.
I have @Bigbeardenali1992 cluster at the moment about to get new stepper motors and the blue LED treatment. He also sent me some sweet blue needles to install on it as well. It's gonna be sweet when it's done. I'm just stuck at the moment waiting on one more new stepper motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar