I think I need a lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widnerkj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I got this truck from the original owner. Everything seems to be factory. But my truck makes a sad face when I park it next to the wife's 1997 expedition that has a 5" body lift.

f3ef8ab06ed912e022532b8236544326.jpg

ba3d5200dd2476ce9bbe4426e6a0c132.jpg

Most of my miles are highway miles, but if I get a emergency call, and there is 4 feet of snow, I still have to go.

Any suggestions? And yes a part of me wants to SAS this thing and go up 12" but I'd never fit into a NYC parking garage.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a typo or does the ford really have FIVE inches of body lift?

For a daily driver, I personally suggest a 3" body lift.

You can adjust the torsions to level the stance of the the truck without causing too much premature failure of IFS and steering components, some may get away with a 1" block or add-a-leaf kit and leveled stance but I haven't been able to (I like my tires outside of the fender some btw).

Those factory running boards help with hiding the frame as well.
I left mine on with my body lift:
image_zps80c6e7ba.jpg

If not on a budget then disregard this post.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I'm 3in but need to go more. I've seen 6 in body lifts before.... Not a pretty sight

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack, just to entertain while waiting on the OP.

Shoot, look at this body lift.
Or body transplant perhaps?
I've seen it in person, it's a Cherokee body welded to a k-5 Blazer or an scout frame or some crap. Literally mated together with square tubing.
No tittle wants $4500 for the "rock crawler" that only has about 11" of ground clearance and 7" of travel.
image_zpsa658233f.jpg

The pictures make it look like a flex monster but the frame really isn't very far from the ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

widnerkj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup, pretty sure the expedition is up 5" I'll measure the blocks when wife gets home. All in all I like the tahoe just fine, but I worry about clearance issues in the deep snow. (which is when my phone rings.) I'd seriously like to put 31x10.5's on it, like I had on the old 4runner. But I'm just trying to stay ahead on maintance issues for now.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
31s will fit without lifting. But I've never had problems whenever it's snowed here and everybody freaks out. I just go slow and steady in 4hi and that was with 265s. These 33s shouldn't be a problem neither

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some 6" kits are $1K-1.5K plus install, tires, gears.

Some make for a nice end product though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts