I need some advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Lukas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm 15 and I want to start getting into modding cars, I'm most likely gonna inherit my dad's 2007 Tahoe. I'm looking for an air intake that fits in his model, I can post a picture of his engine if you need it. I appreciate it.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I sure wish I had this place available when I was your age. Stay long enough here and you’ll learn a lot from all the knowledgeable folks.

For starters, I’d suggest installing an oil catch can. Although it doesn’t necessarily add horsepower it will help keep your intake free of oil .... oops...gotta go. I’ll be back!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of automotive enthusiasts, AKA the land of depleted wallets.

What’s your goals for the truck, and how’s the intake advance your goals? I’m asking because there’s more mods out there than most of us will ever have the time and money to do. Do you want better acceleration? More sound? Or???

Tell the group what your aim is and you’ll get lots of suggestions.

My .02 is for an otherwise stock vehicle intake mods are benign, they won’t help or hurt performance. Just don’t use oiled filters, unless your aim is to increase the dirt flow into your engine. I won’t mention any brands, but the letters K and N are prominent. No doubt someone will be along soon with a different perspective.

OP
OP
Robert Lukas

Robert Lukas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of automotive enthusiasts, AKA the land of depleted wallets.

What’s your goals for the truck, and how’s the intake advance your goals? I’m asking because there’s more mods out there than most of us will ever have the time and money to do. Do you want better acceleration? More sound? Or???

Tell the group what your aim is and you’ll get lots of suggestions.

My .02 is for an otherwise stock vehicle intake mods are benign, they won’t help or hurt performance. Just don’t use oiled filters, unless your aim is to increase the dirt flow into your engine. I won’t mention any brands, but the letters K and N are prominent. No doubt someone will be along soon with a different perspective.
Thanks, my goals are a little more sound without going too crazy so I don't make the neighbors mad and a few horsepower if I'm able to grab it, I just want to make it more fun to drive. I'm still pretty new to this so maybe an aftermarket intake isn't the best for a Tahoe. Ill look into more options for what I can do. Thank you.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I enjoy the sound of an open intake myself. But it kills my gas mileage, because I put my foot into it to make the sound! There’s a lot of nice sounding exhaust mods, there’s tons of videos on YouTube.

I don’t want to discourage you at all. But do be conscious that louder vehicles attract more attention. A teenage driver with pipes is a cop magnet. There’s also something to be said for discreet performance. I began my modding habits enjoying the soundtrack as much as the speed. Over time I turned down the volume and spent those dollars on power instead. I like sleepers personally.

OP
OP
Robert Lukas

Robert Lukas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I enjoy the sound of an open intake myself. But it kills my gas mileage, because I put my foot into it to make the sound! There’s a lot of nice sounding exhaust mods, there’s tons of videos on YouTube.

I don’t want to discourage you at all. But do be conscious that louder vehicles attract more attention. A teenage driver with pipes is a cop magnet. There’s also something to be said for discreet performance. I began my modding habits enjoying the soundtrack as much as the speed. Over time I turned down the volume and spent those dollars on power instead. I like sleepers personally.
Alright thanks ill keep on doing my research into it.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Thanks, my goals are a little more sound without going too crazy so I don't make the neighbors mad and a few horsepower if I'm able to grab it, I just want to make it more fun to drive. I'm still pretty new to this so maybe an aftermarket intake isn't the best for a Tahoe. Ill look into more options for what I can do. Thank you.

I’m back. ;)
I always find that new suspension (lifted or lowered), new wheels, new tires, new sound system, and new exhaust always adds to the fun factor of a vehicle. Just makes it much more personal that way. Lots of people with lowered Tahoe’s here as well as lifted.

OP
OP
Robert Lukas

Robert Lukas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m back. ;)
I always find that new suspension (lifted or lowered), new wheels, new tires, new sound system, and new exhaust always adds to the fun factor of a vehicle. Just makes it much more personal that way. Lots of people with lowered Tahoe’s here as well as lifted.
Yea I am for sure gonna kit it up with some new rims, the old ones he has are a bit rusty lol. I'm not sure if I'm gonna lift or lower it yet, that will probably be something I do after I get some experience under my belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo