How to turn ignition w/out engine on 21 RST?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West1

Reaction score
I’m feeling a little stupid rn as I can’t figure out how to turn the ignition on so the code reader can scan. I put the accessories on and ran the scanner but it doesn’t feel right w/out the dash lighting up.

The past 2 days I’ve received a Low Oil notification but I’m at 35% oil life left, has me a little worried.

I purchased new synthetic 0-20 (currently 34k miles) to replace my oil as I’m headed to a big driving trip for Christmas (hopefully!).

I’m hoping the ecm recorded something so I can see if it’s a sensor, o-ring, fuel pump etc so I can fix prior to our trip.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Without your foot on the brake, press and hold the start/stop button for ~5 seconds. You'll see all the tell-tale lights on the cluster come on for pre-drive check and now your ignition is on w/o engine running.
Thank you!!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m feeling a little stupid rn as I can’t figure out how to turn the ignition on so the code reader can scan. I put the accessories on and ran the scanner but it doesn’t feel right w/out the dash lighting up.

The past 2 days I’ve received a Low Oil notification but I’m at 35% oil life left, has me a little worried.

I purchased new synthetic 0-20 (currently 34k miles) to replace my oil as I’m headed to a big driving trip for Christmas (hopefully!).

I’m hoping the ecm recorded something so I can see if it’s a sensor, o-ring, fuel pump etc so I can fix prior to our trip.

Thanks for the help!
Well, did you check the oil level?

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Well, did you check the oil level?
I did and it was low. Not sure why it was low, no signs of oil leaks either.

I did an oil change and now checking spark plugs to see if there’s oil in there.
So far, engine seems fine and not burning anything. I’ll take it tomorrow for a compression test. I usually do my own oil changes and I got lazy in the last one and went to a drive thru oil change. They must of under filled the oil.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did and it was low. Not sure why it was low, no signs of oil leaks either.

I did an oil change and now checking spark plugs to see if there’s oil in there.
So far, engine seems fine and not burning anything. I’ll take it tomorrow for a compression test. I usually do my own oil changes and I got lazy in the last one and went to a drive thru oil change. They must of under filled the oil.
Its very possible.

I would just change the oil and monitor the level through this next run.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
No oil in 2 spark plugs, one on each side.
Went for a 20min drive and oil pressure seems normal. 28ish psi - 60psi from idle to 55mph.

Can’t blame the oil change place to much as I should have checked my oil monthly at min. Lesson learned

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like a little low on oil at next service is somewhat normal with these motors. I have not heard of it being so low that the low oil engine light came on though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jnice28