How to tell if a Tahoe is an LS or LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone,

I have a question about my 01 Tahoe i haven’t really been able to get consistent answers on.

The tahoe has LT badges on it. They appear to be original as they are faded, and worn quite extensively. But from what i can tell on a one vin site that would actually give me the trim, they said it’s an LS.

From what i can tell, it doesn’t have painted body trim moldings, auto AC, or heated seats. It has pretty much everything else. Can anyone help me out here? I will list build sheet below.

I don't know if the painted body trim was actually available in 2001, was it?

It's the decals say LT, then that's what it is. I think the trim is like a general package, and the RPO code are more definitive options.

My 99 Silverado also had leather seats in an LS trim. I eventually replaced them with cloth because I wanted the jumseat instead of the console, and the leather was pretty beat up.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now this is something I'm going to have to look into I guess. Because it just created questions in my brain. MY 2006 Z71 has leather and auto climate....the FATHER-IN-LAWs 2006 Z71 had cloth and manual climate.... so could a fella have just added the Z71 option to any unit? Or would it have to have had some base upgrade to LT before you could order the Z71 package?
Like the High Flow air box comes automatically with the Z71 option. But we see here that the K47 is also independent of the Z71 option as I don't see it in the RPO list.

IIRC 'Z71' is a "Chassis Package," not a trim level.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the decals say LT, then that's what it is.
Given that there are precious few people who would fake a Tahoe LT -
You might be surprised how many supposed 'Impalas SS' I've seen ... with 4.3L V8s -
It's PROBABLY a Tahoe LT.

But again, someone needs to show up with the old sales materials to be sure.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be surprised how many supposed 'Impalas SS' I've seen ... with 4.3L V8s
...ah, the 4.3 V8 (L99 IIRC?)...kinda forgotten in modern history, probably like the SBC 305. You never hear about either anymore. A lot of people don't even know there was such a thing as a V8 4.3.

Was the 4.3 V8 also like big brother LT1? Did it have that Optispark distributer? I can't remember what else those engines had: reverse-flow cooling...(?)

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you know where to find the lone external telltale difference between the 4.3L L99 & the 5.7L LT1,
it's all too easy to confuse the L99 with the LT1 - they are externally identical from all the easy vantage points.
The only functional difference between the 4.3L L99 & the 5.7L LT1, is the displacement.

Reverse flow cooling with a cam-driven H2Opump allowed 10.0:1 scr in the Iron-head LT1 in 4- & 5-door cars,
and 10.5:1 scr in 2-door cars.
(LT1 engines, and my ability to tune them, are why I balk at the idea that high compression and 87 octane cannot coexist - you just have to be willing to give up some power and throttle response, compared to 91, is all.)
The Opti-Spark was a great idea, implemented about a decade too late.
It was also not safe from oil & H2Opump leaks.
Opti-Sparks work well IFF you know how to check for good quality control, and can properly install and diagnose them.
That said, LS-type coil-per-cylinder ignition, all by itself, is both a maintenance upgrade AND a performance mod for every LT1, with NO drawbacks.

@TheEnder53, check the brochure link I posted.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC 'Z71' is a "Chassis Package," not a trim level.
Yes and no. The chassis portion of the Z71 package is the stiffer shocks and springs in the rear and some other odds and ends of things, but it does include body specific trim that a regular Tahoe doesn’t have. Color matched front grille, color matched front and rear bumpers with a different lower plastic trim valence and fog lights on the front bumper than a regular Tahoe. Painted fender flares. z71 specific nerf style running boards. Z71 specific roof racks that are different than regular Tahoe roof racks. Different wheel option.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...A lot of people don't even know there was such a thing as a V8 4.3.
Two different 4.3 V8s. The L99 that was the LT1 lookalike. And in 1975-76 anemic 4.3 (262) v8 in the monza and some midsized cars. Made 110 hp @3600 and 195tq @2000 rpm. Bore so small not even 1.94 valves fit the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660