How to Reset Transmission Control Module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measure it at the servo cover. At this point all you need to do is take the head shield off and press in on the cover until the travel stops and see how far it travels. For reference take a pair of dial calipers and set them open .050 and compare that distance to your servo travel and see if they're similar.

Yep, he used the SK4L60E and no where in the instructions does it call for any tcm resets.
Yeah I see that now. Not sure how missed it... oh may have been the "eggnog".
Yeah even the HD2 kit doesn't say anything about resetting the shift tables( on the vehicles ive done), so I can't see why the base kit would.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Measure it at the servo cover. At this point all you need to do is take the head shield off and press in on the cover until the travel stops and see how far it travels. For reference take a pair of dial calipers and set them open .050 and compare that distance to your servo travel and see if they're similar.

Yep, he used the SK4L60E and no where in the instructions does it call for any tcm resets.
OK thanks, I'll check that this weekend. The servo kit came with 2 shims and I installed 1. I kinda breezed thru the servo install because it was a long day doing the shift kit and I was burned out lol
Yeah I see that now. Not sure how missed it... oh may have been the "eggnog".
Yeah even the HD2 kit doesn't say anything about resetting the shift tables( on the vehicles ive done), so I can't see why the base kit would.
You both are right, after reading through the instructions, the kit does not say to do that. I had watched a video on installing the shift kit and the guy had said to do it. (though he didn't say how to do it) He said especially if you had the bump on the 1-2 because it would have learned to try and compensate for it. I didn't read the entire instructions, mostly followed the video and referenced the instructions for the valve body stuff (that part made me nervous, having never gotten into one before). I ended up leaving the battery disconnected last night, figured it couldn't hurt.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow good memory. Only damage I found was a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator. Everything else looked good. Fluid was very clean as well, granted, I changed the fluid/filter a little over a year ago. I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner lol the shifts are prompt and firm. I have peace of mind now not worrying about burning the clutch on the 1-2.

Thanks everyone for the answers, I appreciate y'all :cheers:
Why would you have to be concerned about "burning the clutch on the 1-2"? The 1-2 accumulator spring is there to cause the shift not to be neck jerking. A broken 1-2 accumulator spring will cause the 1-2 shift to be firmer and quick which causes the exact opposite of being able to burn the 1-2 clutches. Less time for the shift to happen, less time for the clutches to get hot during slippage, especially if the throttle is mashed.
A broken 1-2 accumulator spring will NOT damage your transmission. It is quite common to find a broken 1-2 spring on a 700r4/4l60/4l60e when they are opened up for the first time ever with high miles. Its pretty much expected and has to be replaced whether its broken or not.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Why would you have to be concerned about "burning the clutch on the 1-2"? The 1-2 accumulator spring is there to cause the shift not to be neck jerking. A broken 1-2 accumulator spring will cause the 1-2 shift to be firmer and quick which causes the exact opposite of being able to burn the 1-2 clutches. Less time for the shift to happen, less time for the clutches to get hot during slippage, especially if the throttle is mashed.
A broken 1-2 accumulator spring will NOT damage your transmission. It is quite common to find a broken 1-2 spring on a 700r4/4l60/4l60e when they are opened up for the first time ever with high miles. Its pretty much expected and has to be replaced whether its broken or not.
Hmmm... Well maybe it had nothing to do with the broken spring, but prior to doing this, the 1-2 was pretty bad. It would shift, then a second later it would jerk, almost as if it had just fully grabbed. I'm no expert, but to me it seemed like the engagement was pretty delayed.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Well maybe it had nothing to do with the broken spring, but prior to doing this, the 1-2 was pretty bad. It would shift, then a second later it would jerk, almost as if it had just fully grabbed. I'm no expert, but to me it seemed like the engagement was pretty delayed.
It is possible that the spring got all wedged up in the bore and cause that. Usually the symptom is just neck jerking 1-2 shifts which most people dont like but its awesome for a race car.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
It is possible that the spring got all wedged up in the bore and cause that. Usually the symptom is just neck jerking 1-2 shifts which most people dont like but its awesome for a race car.
It's funny you say that, because before, if I had it in tow/haul, it would BANG into 2nd, neck jerking as you say. But in regular drive it would be sloppy. The shifts now are firm and quick in a good way, but not as jarring as before if it was in tow/haul

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny you say that, because before, if I had it in tow/haul, it would BANG into 2nd, neck jerking as you say. But in regular drive it would be sloppy. The shifts now are firm and quick in a good way, but not as jarring as before if it was in tow/haul
Tow/Haul mode causes quicker firmer shifts. The last thing you want is to be giving moderate throttle and the shift to be loose and sloppy while towing. That causes extra heat, clutch wear and will burn up the 2-4 band during 1-2 and 3-4 shifts.
It really sounds like your 1-2 spring had the piston all wedged up in the bore. Do you remember pulling the 2 spring pieces? Did they come right out or were they all tangled up together?

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Tow/Haul mode causes quicker firmer shifts. The last thing you want is to be giving moderate throttle and the shift to be loose and sloppy while towing. That causes extra heat, clutch wear and will burn up the 2-4 band during 1-2 and 3-4 shifts.
It really sounds like your 1-2 spring had the piston all wedged up in the bore. Do you remember pulling the 2 spring pieces? Did they come right out or were they all tangled up together?
About a third of it broke off. It a came right out but the broken-off bit was tangled into the remaining spring. Miraculously, there wasn't any significant scoring on the cylinder wall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019