How to Operate the 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if auto was "not intended for 24/7 use" it would be clearly noted as such in the owners manual, that is a statement you created out of nowhere or some misconception.
you are confusing yourself, it would be impossible to apply power to the front and not reduce power to the rear and therefore load. (there is not 2 engines with 1 that suddently kicks in to the front)
less power applied to the rear = less stress on the rear, auto does not divide power 50/50 but it will reduce stress on the rear "on demand".
yes there is a mpg hit and Divided wear (on demand) instead of 100% wear on the rear end.
that's why you can't do a burnout in auto unless you have a nice horse power upgrade, because it detects wheel spin and applies the means to correct it.
and auto is safer than 2wd, not as safe as AWD but it is a 2nd best. I will gladly take a smidge mpg hit if it might save my life and divide the wear and not put my rear end into early retirement
you could hit a pot hole in 2wd and die, but auto "might" save your life and your rear end.
I have broken several rear ends in 2wd and have YET to break one in auto or awd, why? because it splits the wear when needed = reduced rear end wear
and all those rear ends I broke were guess what? g80's guess what is on my auto vehicle and awd vehicle? that's right the exact same g80
hmm I wonder why they have not broke yet? any guess
rant over you will never ever convince me that driving in 2wd is better than auto, it's impossible.

and in reference to my first line all you will find on the owners manual regarding "auto" is this

AUTO (Automatic Four-WheelDrive) : Use when road surface traction conditions are variable.When driving in AUTO, the front axle is engaged, and the vehicle's power is sent to the front and rear wheels automatically based on driving conditions. This setting provides slightly lower fuel economy than 2wd. Do not use AUTO mode,if equipped, to park on a steep grade with poor traction such as ice,snow, mud, or gravel. In AUTO mode only the rear wheels will hold the vehicle from sliding when parked. If parking on a steep grade,use 4hi to keep all four wheels engaged.
not a single iota about not for use 24/7.......
Not using auto 4wd has been covered many times; if you are in auto you have the front end components in motion; they are wearing
gm has been hit on this many times, they have even updated their public website to reflect it here: https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/when-to-use-four-wheel-drive . Per the owners manual wording, it is using fuel, you are wearing components.

Regarding torque and breaking rear ends.
In auto 4wd all the torque is going to the rear end, no torque is shed until the rear end looses traction (auto isn't dividing any power before loose of traction).

Explain exactly how using auto 4wd reduces torque to the rear axle before the rear axle slips. After the rear axle slips the torque load doesn't matter, it'll be lower the before it broke loose.

Concerning the delay; absolutely their is a delay. Drive on ice once and you'll experience it. Rear tires on ice, front on pavement (like 6 months here in ND) the fronts are in constant chatter mode.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not using auto 4wd has been covered many times; if you are in auto you have the front end components in motion; they are wearing
gm has been hit on this many times, they have even updated their public website to reflect it here: https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/when-to-use-four-wheel-drive . Per the owners manual wording, it is using fuel, you are wearing components.

Regarding torque and breaking rear ends.
In auto 4wd all the torque is going to the rear end, no torque is shed until the rear end looses traction (auto isn't dividing any power before loose of traction).

Explain exactly how using auto 4wd reduces torque to the rear axle before the rear axle slips. After the rear axle slips the torque load doesn't matter, it'll be lower the before it broke loose.

Concerning the delay; absolutely their is a delay. Drive on ice once and you'll experience it. Rear tires on ice, front on pavement (like 6 months here in ND) the fronts are in constant chatter mode.
EXACTLY AS NOTED PER YOUR LINK
"CAN BE USED ON ANY ROAD CONDITION WITHOUT RISK OF DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE"
as for the rest of it, I am no expert but it works great for me and it say's "the clutches modulate torque forward to provide stability and enhance traction to the vehicle"
if that takes wheel slip so be it, but I would guess it takes extremely little slip otherwise this bish would be chirping around on me all day like it does in 2wd

and: If road conditions frequently alternate between "high- and low-traction areas" lol that's me I create low traction by pressing the big pedal

AUTOMATIC 4 HI
If road conditions frequently alternate between high- and low-traction areas, consider using the “AUTO” setting found on select GMC electronic transfer cases. This setting allows your GMC to automatically distribute torque to the front axle by anticipating the need for additional traction. Shifting into “auto” engages the front axle, but the transfer case sends power primarily to the rear wheels in normal conditions and the clutches modulate torque forward to provide stability and enhance traction to the vehicle. Although not always optimal for efficiency and wear of your vehicle 4wd driveline, AUTOMATIC 4 HI can be used on any road condition without risk of damaging your vehicle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in "auto" all the time, no delay no chatter no problems at all, don't even need 4wd unless it gets really hairy
every once in a blue moon might get a traction control activation

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chatter would likely occur from either traction control or stabiltrac kicking in or ABS or both. Never had my differential chatter
I have had the vehicle "pause" from stabiltrac while it decides what to do when I give it a reason like driving up on a curb at speed so one or more wheels are off the ground.
that has nothing to do with the differential or transfer case other than the computer deciding how to correct it by applying a somewhat gentle power to move forward.
that can be disabled for the most part by holding down the traction control button for a few seconds so both turn off, abs requires pulling the fuse.
I have put all these things thru a workout....stabiltrac in particular is slow to decide what to do it will basically just cause a massive power drop then go. It's a potential life saver in many situations and a hinderance in others.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
in "auto" all the time, no delay no chatter no problems at all, don't even need 4wd unless it gets really hairy
every once in a blue moon might get a traction control activation

Wouldn't you think that yours is a different transfer case and 4wd system? We're discussing the GMT800 drivetrain. Where does your description come from?

There is absolutely a slight delay in AUTO since the front diff actuator needs time to deploy.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you think that yours is a different transfer case and 4wd system? We're discussing the GMT800 drivetrain. Where does your description come from?

There is absolutely a slight delay in AUTO since the front diff actuator needs time to deploy.
AUTO/2wd/4hi/4lo/awd should all operate the same from gmt800 to current, although I thought I read something about some of the T2's having some kind of option other than AWD when equipped but I could be wrong, might just be on the acadia

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
AUTO/2wd/4hi/4lo/awd should all operate the same from gmt800 to current, although I thought I read something about some of the T2's having some kind of option other than AWD when equipped but I could be wrong, might just be on the acadia

From the various descriptions the later versions of AUTO fully engage the diff, and the transfer case does the proportioning. Not so in the GMT800s; the front diff is not engaged in AUTO until commanded so; I've watched it change on my Tech 2 and experienced the delay of the front diff engagement.

Note the difference between driveline "wear" and driveline "damage".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10