How To: Hidden Antenna Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the copper really work, and how can you protect it from getting rusty?

I just pulled that one out of the blue. Makes sense though. Or some conductor. Insulate it? Paint it the non-contact surfaces?

Drif10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just soldered a ring terminal onto a 10ga stranded wire...I'm not sure it'll really matter how the wire is connected but I like to solder everything...lol...

Morgan Hill reception is crap even with a stock antenna in the stock location. I pick up everything now...

IMAG0624.jpg

Larger gauge wire seems to help a little. I did try speaker wire first & it was about as good as the stock antenna.

Cameron

I went this route. Just because of the chunk of old wire I had, I ran it along the weatherstrip to the end of the door. A buddy that's an amateur radio guy said that it would work fine even if it was shorter. And it does!

I cannot tell you how much that fricking antenna was pissing me off, every time I went to clean the windshield. With winter coming, this little fix was just the ticket. Thanks, guys.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the new part number?

Going to try this soon.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

just did it today...
IMG_20110222_084756.jpg

IMG_20110222_084748.jpg

IMG_20110222_084813.jpg

IMG_20110222_084901.jpg

IMG_20110222_084839.jpg

IMG_20110222_084844.jpg

I wraped some copper wire around the base and ran it up through the weather seal to get better reception. I get better reception than with the original antenna! Esky piece is on order...for now i put duct tape over the hole

This idea I like, my reception isn't great.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laid my antenna down along the fender. Reception seems uneffected.

Thanks for the write-up!

NightFallInc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't mean to bump the hell out of this old thread, but I've noticed that the original part number for the Escalade cowl piece has changed. The sites I've searched have that part number listed as discontinued by GM, with no new part number referenced.

Short of going to U-Pull-It, etc. is there any reasonable way to get my hands on one of these cowl pieces? I'm assuming that if I can't find it online, I might also be able to locate a Chevy dealer locally and ask them to order it for me, but I'd prefer to get it myself without a trip to a dealership, if at all possible. Thanks!

BigBlackBurban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't mean to bump the hell out of this old thread, but I've noticed that the original part number for the Escalade cowl piece has changed. The sites I've searched have that part number listed as discontinued by GM, with no new part number referenced.

Short of going to U-Pull-It, etc. is there any reasonable way to get my hands on one of these cowl pieces? I'm assuming that if I can't find it online, I might also be able to locate a Chevy dealer locally and ask them to order it for me, but I'd prefer to get it myself without a trip to a dealership, if at all possible. Thanks!

^+1

MinnYukon

Reaction score
Tried this mod with 10 gauge copper wire up the side of the door. FM reception is crap in rural areas and AM is non-existent. Ended up going back to stock antenna after trying several tweaks. Looked at after market "hidden" antennas, but nothing had better than 3 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Oh, well...

CREGAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SO I have just done this mod and I have done every version of this mod just to try them all out and I would have to say it is OK. Not great but OK. I get great fm reception in the city, but it disappears mush faster as I drive away. I get zero am reception now which makes me sad because I am all about the sports talk radio around here. It definitely looks way better and is a million times easier to clean the windshield. That said, I have a question for you guys:

Is there any possibility where your radio antenna cable can be the on-star antenna? I don't use on-star anyways so I am wondering if there is a way to route the radios antenna out of the on-star one on the roof. Thanks

Craig

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad I didn't bother with the cowl piece earlier. Looks like it was flat out discontinued, no change in part number. That said, if you search the part number you can still find it online. But... $30 shipped. So I think I'll continue to not bother until I find myself at a u-pull-it.