How To: Hidden Antenna Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had seen some guys post that they had done this and got curious. I hate that stupid antenna and thought about getting a stubby but didn't want to sacrifice reception too much so I thought I'd give this a try for a clean look.

This mod takes all of 5 minutes to do and was done courtesy of the FSC forum help section. I took my own pics as I didn't really like the ones over there.

Here is the stupid antenna that you need to remove:
b1094bb3.jpg

This is the trim piece that you pop off. Just grab underneath it and lift
b8ea9f64.jpg

This is what it looks like once it has been removed
169ad787.jpg

This is the base that the antenna screws to. You need to remove the 3 screws that hold it in place
e8e71775.jpg

Use a 7mm socket to get them out. A nut driver or an extended length socket like this one makes it a little easier to reach
5902a02f.jpg

You can see here that it's got some slack in the wire the base is attached to, but not much
231d6efd.jpg

I just laid it down alongside the fender, it shouldn't go anywhere
4a3e452f.jpg

Screw the antenna back onto the base and run it along the top of the fender
2fabfc18.jpg

I tucked the tip of the antenna under the rubber piece here, it's held firmly in place
023bde12.jpg

Pop your trim piece back on and you're done. Notice you will still have a hole in this piece. If you're cool with that then you're finished. If not, we'll talk about that in a second.
b9a4931d.jpg

Finsihed product, looks much better without the antenna IMO
2825dca8.jpg

I personally don't like the hole left over. You can order an Escalde cowl piece from www.partszoneonline.com. The part number is 15287179. I paid around $16 bucks a few days ago and that included shipping. When it comes in I'll edit and post a pic of that too.

If you want to look at the write up on FSC here's the link:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...s-two/268764-cheap-way-shave-nbs-antenna.html

This guy used an "L" bracket to mount the antenna base back to and zip tied it to something on the fender. There's not really anything to zip tie ours to and from what i can tell it's not going anywhere. I kept the screws just in case I need to fab a bracket but I don't think I will.

Once I finished I took a short drive around and didn't notice any real loss of reception. I live in a pretty urban area though. I'll report back next time I make a trip to AL and let you guys know how it does.

Last edited:

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Great write up here! I'll be doing this ASAP as I have already been considering it. Thanks for the write up!

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does look good. but like what was said over in that thread, i like mine to help let me know how i'm doing in parking garages heightwise.

Last edited:

rgaffney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the write up, now that I know how easy it is I'm gonna definitely do this

OP
OP
Narco

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the best part...it's sooooo easy. hopefully my esky cap will come in tomorrow and ill post a coule more pics

rgaffney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does look good. but like what was said over in that thread, i like mine to help let me know how i'm doing in parking garages heightwise.

I haven't had any trouble in parking garages, but my mom's Z71 does have trouble because it is slightly taller

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
My truck hasn't had one since purchase, it was removed along with the dealer frames and front license plate. I have an ipod, no need for radio but the reception is good the 4 times I've actually had it on. Trim piece sounds like a good idea I'll have to order one of those next week :cheers:

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble in parking garages, but my mom's Z71 does have trouble because it is slightly taller

i haven't either, but i like the fact that the antenna is the tallest part on my truck, so i can tell if my truck is going to hit anything based on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts