How To: Hidden Antenna Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried it and got horrible FM reception. Might work better in heavy metro areas though.

Agreed. I just did mine last night. Reception for local Waco, TX stations is terrible "in town" when they were strong before 30+ miles outside of town.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a hidden antenna from tunetrapper.com for about $50 hoping it would fix the horrible reception after I did the mod. I tried tucking it in the front of the headliner and it did work great in my driveway but still sucked anywhere else. I emailed them and they said it would work if I used "closed cell or non-conductive insulation" between the antenna and the roof because of the metal.
I haven't been able to find any yet so I decided to take the top of the dash off and place it under there it does work better but I did lose one of my usual three stations. When I have time I'll try putting it under the dash or somewhere else and check the results.

Last edited:

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a hidden antenna from tunetrapper.com for about $50 hoping it would fix the horrible reception after I did the mod. I tried tucking it in the front of the headliner and it did work great in my driveway but still sucked anywhere else. I emailed them and they said it would work if I used "closed cell or non-conductive insulation" between the antenna and the roof because of the metal.
I haven't been able to find any yet so I decided to take the top of the dash off and place it under there it does work better but I did lose one of my usual three stations. When I have time I'll try putting it under the dash or somewhere else and check the results.

Tried this a few months ago. Crap reception, great customer service though. I tried mounting everywhere including the rear window. No dice. I returned it for a refund. I'm rocking my stock whip and done messing with this mod.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine works great up to about 30 miles outside of a major city. And also sucks in parking garages downtown lol. Other than that I haven't had any issues with it. I have some small amplified antennas for use out at our lake house, 60 miles or so from any major city. 3 on boats and 1 on our golf card and they all work well. I think I will be trying one of those soon on my Yukon.

easybake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
photo_zps6f3f236f.jpg

Well this happened when I accidentally went through a car wash with the stupid antenna on. Any ideas on how to fix this error?

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this happened when I accidentally went through a car wash with the stupid antenna on. Any ideas on how to fix this error?

It seems you have deleted your antenna!

Any signal at this point? Do they fit at all, or were chunks lost? Could also consider soldering some copper between them, maybe?

wolferine358

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the copper really work, and how can you protect it from getting rusty?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium