How to change the Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denali00

Reaction score
did mine today, didnt see this thread, but i managed it on my own, pretty easy job! i took the fuse out and took the gas cap off..not sure if that helped. didmt spill that much gas really, maily whatever was in the filter already, and what sprayed out be the pressure released..

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the relay pulled, started engine and it killed right away. Loosened the gas cap and opened the fuel lines up and fuel came out and never stopped. It was as if the tank was just slowly emptying via the rear line. Couldn't figure why....made this a pain to do.

Why oh why would it drain from the rear line and NOT stop? Bet it drained 1/2 gal before I could get it done.

...what's going on so the next time it is easier? Wouldn't the tank be under a vacuum and prevent draining? Did loosening the gas cap cause my problem?

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the relay pulled, started engine and it killed right away. Loosened the gas cap and opened the fuel lines up and fuel came out and never stopped. It was as if the tank was just slowly emptying via the rear line. Couldn't figure why....made this a pain to do.

Why oh why would it drain from the rear line and NOT stop? Bet it drained 1/2 gal before I could get it done.

...what's going on so the next time it is easier? Wouldn't the tank be under a vacuum and prevent draining? Did loosening the gas cap cause my problem?

Ummm... Bingo!!

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all these filters coming out no one must be from new england lol. I have never been able to get a filter off up other than my duramax. i am having to install all new lines to change the damn filter jealous!

01SLE

Reaction score
Replaced mine today, thanks for the tips.

I don't think it was really clarified but remove the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the tank, then tighten the cap back up! Otherwise you'll sit there siphoning out fuel like the poster above.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced mine today, thanks for the tips.

I don't think it was really clarified but remove the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the tank, then tighten the cap back up! Otherwise you'll sit there siphoning out fuel like the poster above.

Weird thing is that's what I did....I loosened it and then tightened it back up...but got continual draining.....

So the answer is to NOT touch the gas cap???? According to a post above...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini