How to change the Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamordnt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am writing this short post to help anyone who is going to change their fuel filter. I just did mine tonight and could not find anything on here on how to actually do it. This is really easy to do and all you really need are two wrenches and something to catch the small amount of spilled fuel. Shouldn't take more than 30 mins.

This will be short and sweet so here it is. The fuel filter is located under the driver side door tucked on the inside of the frame. Find the fuel line and follow it to the filter. The filter is a silver tube looking thing with threads on both ends. One end, the end toward the engine, it has a rib on the end of it. There is also a black plastic looking support harness that holds the filter to the frame. DO NOT REMOVE THE BOLTS ON THIS. Leave it alone, the fuel filter will actually slide out of it so you do not need to try and remove it.

Here is where I had trouble. To remove the fuel filter you will need two wrenches. Put one on the fuel line nut and one on the filter and loosen the filter. Repeat on the other end. Be sure not to twist to hard and do not let the fuel lines twist at all. Fuel will start spilling out here so be sure you are ready to catch it.

Next, you will want to look at the end of the filter closest to the engine. You will see the fuel line here is actually pliable. Follow the fuel line until you see a little black clip. You can remove the fuel line from this clip and it will allow you to get the line out of the way of the filter so you can slide the filter out of its harness.

Thats it. Install your new filter and fire her up.

This should cut your time in half of what it took me to figure it all out. Best of luck!

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Before starting I recommend pulling the fuel pump relay/fuse and starting the engine. Let it run until it kills over on its own. This will decrease the amount of fuel you spill because it depressurizes the system. Otherwise, good write-up.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lamordnt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Aw man, great idea. I wouldn't stink like gas right now had I known that. Nice tip!

king_yukon

Reaction score
Great post Iamordnt, figured I'd just check out what was up on here to make life a little easier. I've done a few fuel filter before but any additional info helps.

Also Domin good call with the relay, didn't think bout that one either. Kept most of the fuel off me this time haha

animalfries

Reaction score
I bought a new filter last summer and finally did mine tonight because of this post. It took me about 15 minutes. Thanks!

For other fuel filter virgins...even if you pull the pump fuse a TON of gas will still pour out! Definitely not a garage worthy task.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new filter last summer and finally did mine tonight because of this post. It took me about 15 minutes. Thanks!

For other fuel filter virgins...even if you pull the pump fuse a TON of gas will still pour out! Definitely not a garage worthy task.

When you pull the fuse your supposed to start your truck and let it die then go on and change the filter. When you do that it gets all the fuel out of the line. If you pull the fuse and don't start the motor there still fuel in the line...

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive changed my own filter before and its very easy. i tried to change my buddy's 2003 tahoe lt and couldnt. his filter had a nut on one end and a quick release on the other. we went to the parts store to get the special tool but we couldnt get it to work without breaking/modifying it (its a plastic tool). they had som more expensive metal ones but they were only 30 bucks, lol. he ended up taking it in to a shop to pay them and have it done "right". anybody run into that problem yet?

animalfries

Reaction score
When you pull the fuse your supposed to start your truck and let it die then go on and change the filter. When you do that it gets all the fuel out of the line. If you pull the fuse and don't start the motor there still fuel in the line...

Hmm. I pulled it while it was running and it died within 10 seconds. I figured it would have ran longer than that but just figured, welp, let's do this.

That must have been my problem.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts