How much trust do you have in the 3.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I sold my beloved 2013 Tahoe, which I had for 10 years and 82k perfect miles--it never even so much as threw a Check Engine light or any other trouble light in that entire duration.

So since I want more interior space with a longer cargo area, I am likely to buy a brand new Yukon XL SLT with Premium/Luxury Packages and the 3.0 as I have read too much, and heard from clients/friends about issues with the new gas engines. I won't ever tow anything, but we like to go way out, from North Carolina to all across this wonderful country, and frequently end up in the absolute middle of nowhere. I never once had a concern that my Tahoe would leave us stranded, but understand that with all the new technologies come new, more aggravating potential problems.

If you have or have had the 3.0, would you or did you drive it four or five thousand miles or more across the U.S. and back without hesitation? Are there any other road trippers on here that do this?

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife has a Diesel Denali; it's used for large road trips. In the last year we've done 4, smallest being 3500 miles pulling a 5k lb boat, others in the 6k mile range. This truck hasn't been perfect, had to have the turbo assembly replaced and a few other issues.

But I don't have any more / less concern that it would leave us stranded then any other GMC's we've owned (she's had a pile of Yukon's).

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it on 3 2800-mile trips. Not a peep out of it. Saved my a$$ in IAN last year (about this time!) as all stations were out of gas, but I found diesel with no lines as I evacuated alone in torrential rain on Alligator Alley to Ft Lauderdale 250 miles the Day of the storm. If you ever needed your vehicle...trust me, you needed it then....
Best road vehicle I've ever had. If I couldn't get the dmax I probably wouldn't own this vehicle....

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '21+ platform has left more than a few people stranded. The majority of them are because of the 5.3/6.2 gas engine lifter issues and then there's some dead batteries because of failed OTA updates.

The 3.0 LM2 is the ultimate road trip motor. Phenomenal fuel economy and virtually silent at highway speeds. The only time I would say to reconsider your engine choice and NOT get the LM2 is if you do A LOT of idling (builds up soot faster in the DPF) or do a ton of short trips. DPF regens take about 10 miles and need to happen ~every 300 miles. It's good to get the motor out and everything up to temp. Though really you could say the same about a gas motor as well. Frequent short trips aren't good for any motor, gas or diesel - with the newer emission diesels being a bit more finicky about it.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had ours for roughly 11k. If you had a problem free 2013 consider yourself lucky.

It's my wife's vehicle. We tow a boat and camper with it occasionally. Have not had a issue yet. Gets great mpg.

She's always had Toyota and Lexus and as a former GM tech kinda knew what to expect. No competitor currently offers a more compelling package. The redesign sequoia let us down with the third row and cargo space so we made the jump to duramax Yukon.

She loves it. I love it. Haven't had issues. Gets great mpg. Only regret is whish we would have got a XL. Was gonna trade up with the mid cycle refresh but that didn't happen.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
I dont own one... But I have a buddy that has 2 of them. They both have over 100k miles. Last I knew one was at 130k, the other at 150k. He has yet to have a breakdown, loves the fuel mileage.
100/150k in less than 3 years?!?!? That man is on a mission driving!!!

24k miles on mine about 15mo ownership. Love it, rides great, haven't had any issues with the engine. Had a slight hiccup with the transmission, but it was resolved and haven't experienced anything else wrong with it. People will complain about the DEF, but it equates to about $.01/mi cost. Will take the fuel mileage all day long (avg 22 mpg city driving) even with diesel costing more in my area (detroit).

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

24k miles on mine about 15mo ownership. Love it, rides great, haven't had any issues with the engine. Had a slight hiccup with the transmission, but it was resolved and haven't experienced anything else wrong with it. People will complain about the DEF, but it equates to about $.01/mi cost. Will take the fuel mileage all day long (avg 22 mpg city driving) even with diesel costing more in my area (detroit).
Yeap... He runs a oversize e$cort business. About 500 miles a day, 5 days a week.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There's a guy with 21 rav4 hybrid with over 430k miles. No issues except maintenance. I believe he is a medical courier. Some people just drive a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019